• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duct Tape + Cardboard = 31mpg??

No correction, just FYI - more of same: Vega GT had racing stripes:rolleyes5:, styled steel wheels\wide ovals, the rallye pack guage set and the two-bbl Holley\Weber carb - non-Gt's got standard steel wheels, idiot lites and the single-bbl Holley version - the all-black Cosworth version got the same 2400 engine but with EFI, prolly from Bosch, and gold styled-steel wheels and pin-stripes - the factory experimental V8 shredded the front sheet-metal, so the Monza\Sunbird\Skyhawk was heavier due to thicker steel and more bracing in the front chassis - if you chose the wagon from ~76-up, it was the Vega Kammback wagon with the Monza sheetmetal improvements, and could be had with the 231cuin Buick 2-bbl V6 and T350 or BW T56 5sp manual transmission - the 305 V8 never made it into the Wagons - I built a new '73 GT Kammback, fresh from AJFoyt Chev, with the Buick\Rover 3500 all-aluminum V8 in '73, adapting it to the T350 auto - that made it nice, smooth and quiet, but not nearly as smooth as the Buick 231 in the '78 Monza wagon with the heavier sheet-metal - the Vega was just flimsy, suitable for the no-power 2400, and never felt as stable as the Monza's, braking, turning, sliding, grocery-getting, etc - I've had way more than my fair share of 'em, as you can prolly tell.....................:patriot:

Last edited:
Just imagine if the tire blew from over inflation. I would think you would have some body damage to.

RE: Over-inflating tires:

You will probably spend more money on new tires than you would save by the improved economy.

Manufacturers design tires to run the most efficiently at a certain PSI, with just the right amount of rubber making contact with the road.

Under or over inflating tires will make them wear incorrectly. Once a tire starts to wear incorrectly, you will never be able to correct it. The tire will always wear that way.

The reason that tire inflation guidelines are different for loaded vs unloaded is to keep the same amount of tread on the road.

As for the rest....it all seem pretty retarded to me.

Never figured you for a Vega guy....Must of been many years ago.......they stopped production in the 80's sometime I think.

Post som pics if you have any.

I walked in and ol' AJ heard what I was discussing at the parts desk, so he came out and sold me a shiny new '73 Kammback GT wagon, red with black racing stripes all 'round - Vega hood opened from the rear, Monza\deriv opened from the front, as normal - drove it home, cut the front bumper either side of the grille so it would more resemble the Camaro GT, on with some GT driving lites, popped the 2400, in with the 3500, and had many more thru ~'90 - got pics, but dunno how to convert them to digital, just as with that DCX 2004 CRD training Video I have - should be converted for posteriority's sake, if nuttin' else...........

Back