• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duct Tape + Cardboard = 31mpg??

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
I read an article by Diesel Power where they took there dodge dually and got almost 31mpg out of it. They used duct tape on eveyhing that could catch air, folded in the mirrors, air'd tires up to 70psi, etc. What do you guys think of this.
Here is the article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0708dp_1997_dodge_ram_3500_dualie_cummins/index.html

I wonder how well this would work on our trucks, I don't think I would do it, I'm just curious.

I'm actually going on a road trip tommarrow. I air'd up to 70psi("E"-rated tires, could go to 80 but my back is already sore all the time:errr:) and that's about all I will probably do. I wish I had something to cover up this long bed. I'm sure I could see some improvement from that.

Last edited:
Let me know what the coolant gets to when you clog up the already inadequate airflow....

That's exaclty why I wouldn't go that far. That was my irst thought when reading it. Like the 6.5's don't alreadt have enough to worry about!

Inflating tires past Manufacturers recomm pressure is askng for a problem. I have seen many disasters from tires that went pop. Interesting though.

RE: Over-inflating tires:

You will probably spend more money on new tires than you would save by the improved economy.

Manufacturers design tires to run the most efficiently at a certain PSI, with just the right amount of rubber making contact with the road.

Under or over inflating tires will make them wear incorrectly. Once a tire starts to wear incorrectly, you will never be able to correct it. The tire will always wear that way.

The reason that tire inflation guidelines are different for loaded vs unloaded is to keep the same amount of tread on the road.

As for the rest....it all seem pretty retarded to me.

why is it retarded to do something like that? i thought it was pretty cool, I wouldn't, but what makes it retarded to save money?

Cool. Have to figure out how to cover my grille.

My wheels are dented in instead of out, will that makes a difference?

I won't be blocking off my grill or folding in my mirrors. But it is nice to know that a 1ton dually is capable of 31mpg maybe even more if they took it further, like putting on a bed cover.

It is the mindset of people like this that help improve things over the years. If no one ever thought out of the box there wouldn't be TV, Telephone, Lights, etc. I commend people for trying something new and even more so when it comes out as a win. I say congrats on the 31mpg, however I will pass on doing that to my truck.

I just thought it was a good read.

The first tank of fuel on my just-purchased '96 5.9 Cummins Dodge 2wd dually ex-cab long-bed 5spd netted ~26mpg................mainly because I drove it like a grandpa in a big truck - as I became accustomed to the Cummins' low rpm range (ran dead outta power at 2350rpm) and gear-spread of the NV4500, and resumed my normal driving technique, the mileage started falling - now, with all the "enhancements" I can easily achieve 10-12mpg staying ahead of stop-start traffic, ~ 15-18mpg staying with or behind traffic, and ~18-20mpg aggressively maintaining 75-80mph on the hiway, and ~20-22 judiciously maintaining ~65-70mph on the long road - the big Ram now sits ~6-7" higher incl the larger fatter 17" oem factory tires\wheels off an '05 Ram dually 4x4 - the aerodynamic Buckstop front bumper has way much better aerodynamics than a Ranchhand\similar pipe bumper, but still does not shield the wider larger front tires like the much lighter oem bumper did, and the increased vehicle height and some weight increase (Buckstop front, Ranchhand rear, NV5600, Dana 70 straight front axle) on wider tires certainly contributed to the reduction in fuel economy

The big GMC 6.5 dooley never got better than 18mpg, returning an almost constant 15mpg

But, no, I ain't goin' back to a 2wd dually hunkered down on the ground to try to get it all back - I built what I like, and I like what I built.....................

Last edited:
Lemme see what I can whip up, today - gotta go look at some '06 oem alloy Ram 17 inchers to replace the pimp wheels on #2 son's Bighorn Ram, try to get his fuel economy up outta the low-mid teens - he's an EMT, works the smaller towns around the big H, lotta road miles, gnawing away at his income - Goerand TC would help also, low stall to increase hookup + allow switching-on TCC lockup at 30-35mph, oh yeah - pop knows the tricks.........................

The idea of reducing drag coefficient makes sense. Maybe a taller (deeper?) air dam would help if offroading is not a concern. Folding in the mirrors would probably reduce drag (removing my bug deflector and windshield visor certainly did) but I don't think it would be very safe!::crazy:: Sealing off the grille might be feasible at -30(F or C) but otherwise.....
I don't discount the DieselPower experiment, but....
Hey! Anyone up for a 6.5 Prius? With the right gearing and suspension, it could be quite a little pocket rocket!:eek6:

My grill gets completely blocked off for the winter months, runs at 185-195 all day long when temps are below 25 degrees F, i see better milage, but i also think that is from higher heat from the engine. might be more aerodynamic as well...my truck will hit 210 just driving around if the ambient is over 40 and the grill is blocked off.

Chevy put a 350 in a Monza GT, not a Vega, but never got to market - a few Monzas had the 305 V8, a few had the Chev 226cuin V6, most got the 231cuin Buick V6, then there were all the Iron Duke Pontiac fours, and of course, the 2400 Vega wunder-kind copied from Porsche, even in the black-on-black Cosworth Vega with EFI - the 350 Vegas were aftermarket kits from: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? (hint: some of the first kits were from the folks that brought you the Corvair Spyder Stinger) and an upgrade from two Chev Dealerships, one on each coast

I stand corrected. I somehow seem to recall a Vega GT or something like that. However, it was the 70's and I was an indestructible adolescent male who was more interested in....:errr:, oh, never mind!

Nah, a 6.5 'vette would be way cool.

On the burb, with E-rated tires, is it advisable to go 80 psi all around? Currently the book calls for 55 front, 80 rear.

Rob :)

Back