• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DTC 83?

preachermic

Reaction score
I am getting the TCC PWM solenoid circuit error code. What can cause it, how can I find it, and where is it at? The torque converter seems to lock just fine but, I don't know. I can't clear the code. I have the TCC manuel lockup mod., will this have anything to do with it? Thanks for any help.

You just answered your own question, preach.....................

I have the manual lock up mod as well and get that code if I use it. I have had the mod for 2 1/2 years now no ill effects has arose with that code.

You just reaffirmed your answer to your question: the manual lockup is causing the error....................

Yeah, but it will interfere with setting timing.

I suggest wiring the mod so there are three possible positions:

- normal stock wiring - the PCM (pin 11) connects to the tranny (line S)
- manual TCC locked - the PCM (pin 11) connects to nothing, the tranny (line S) connects to ground
- manual TCC unlocked - the PCM (pin 11) connects to nothing, the tranny (line S) connects to nothing

Most of the time, when I'm not pulling, I leave it set to stock. No codes. Mind you, I don't get codes when I use it, either - but I thought I was just lucky. Is it possible that when you set your TCC to manual lock, your PCM (line 11) is connecting to ground? That would give you a code 83...

Just a thought.

For now, Preach, I would hook it up stock so you can set your timing.

Code 88 is TDC Offset problem... if it's a history code, you should be able to erase it with your scanner. If it's active, it should go when you get your timing all set.

I don't seem to be able to erase anything whether current or historical since these came up. Is there some secret to it that I don't know about?

Make sure your PCM is wired back to your TCC like stock. Then clear the codes. Does your code reader have that capability? If not, put a paperclip between pins A and B of your ALDL connector, turn the key on (don't start the truck!), push the brake and accelerator to the cloor and hold for 15 seconds, then turn the key off.

Remove the paper clip, hook up your code-reader, start the truck and check your codes again.

Attachments

• aldl.jpg
    aldl.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 16
I "believe" the vehichle has to be off but K/O to clear with GMTDScan. Maybe someone else can chime in I have only used mine twice.

Yeah, but it will interfere with setting timing.

I suggest wiring the mod so there are three possible positions:

- normal stock wiring - the PCM (pin 11) connects to the tranny (line S)
- manual TCC locked - the PCM (pin 11) connects to nothing, the tranny (line S) connects to ground
- manual TCC unlocked - the PCM (pin 11) connects to nothing, the tranny (line S) connects to nothing

Most of the time, when I'm not pulling, I leave it set to stock. No codes. Mind you, I don't get codes when I use it, either - but I thought I was just lucky. Is it possible that when you set your TCC to manual lock, your PCM (line 11) is connecting to ground? That would give you a code 83...

Just a thought.

For now, Preach, I would hook it up stock so you can set your timing.

I have a mechanical pump so it wouldn't effect setting timing, I didn't realize it could effect setting timing on 94 and newer trucks.

I used the switch Heath recomended in his TCC blog, and wired it that way as well, at least I think I did, worth me checking again since you aren't throwing a code.

My code 83 will only clear by pulling the battery cable and only happens when I use the switch, otherwise no code.

My TCC lock up mod doesn't throw any codes either. I only use it when I am pulling the trailer on long open road. I used a three pole on-on switch not an on-off-on.

Back