• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DSG Phazer Gear Drive - DSG659498

SuperTuscan

A(ACLU) # 12
Reaction score
I found one new in the box in my garage today. This one fits the 6.5L with electronic injection and therefore has the inductor wheel. What are these going for?IMG_0727.JPG

Consider that these items only appeal to the few.

If the goal is to get most / all the money back, prepare to wait. If the goal is to just let them go and recover some 'found-money', auction them.

I originally bought it from Kennedy Diesel but they no longer list a price for the drive. So, unless it has value over the next best product in the market, which appears to be a drive offered by Leroy Diesel, the pricing would indicate something less than $360.00
i

Other than "slop" in the timing chain, I'm still trying to figure out what potentially catastrophic problem these timing gear sets address?

Slop in the timing chain. Which could be fatally catastrophic if you're running a higher lift cam or 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers or both.

Slop in the timing chain. Which could be fatally catastrophic if you're running a higher lift cam or 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers or both.

I'm a stock engine boy. My experience with modified engine configurations has not been good. I installed a new timing chain on my '99 when I got it with 150K miles. Now has 211K and should easily go 300K.

The slop in the timing chain causes more than just moving your timing of a few degrees. The chain slap that occurs every time there is accelerate, decelerate, accelerate the slap causes chattering on cam to cam bearing as well as to roller lifter surface. if lifters are pumped solid, it can transfer slap to the push rods and rocker arm to valve stem surface.a. An even tension is to keep the cam centered in its bearings floating on the oil and everything is happier.

On a stock engine, its effects are low. On a high performance engine or one you are trying to maximize life out of, it would do better with it.

There is a theory that the high compression detonation could send vibration up through the cam and to the ip and could be bad, but the chain slap is a long proven problem with chain or belt driven IPs to casue more damage, and thats why most high compression engines do not use the type of chain we do.

I think it goes back to basics-what do big rig diesels run? What does heavy quipment engens run? What was the original design on the 6.2 supposed to have before bean counter got involved? Gears, no chains.

Whats the real downside? It costs more to make them.

The slop in the timing chain causes more than just moving your timing of a few degrees. The chain slap that occurs every time there is accelerate, decelerate, accelerate the slap causes chattering on cam to cam bearing as well as to roller lifter surface. if lifters are pumped solid, it can transfer slap to the push rods and rocker arm to valve stem surface.a. An even tension is to keep the cam centered in its bearings floating on the oil and everything is happier.

On a stock engine, its effects are low. On a high performance engine or one you are trying to maximize life out of, it would do better with it.

There is a theory that the high compression detonation could send vibration up through the cam and to the ip and could be bad, but the chain slap is a long proven problem with chain or belt driven IPs to casue more damage, and thats why most high compression engines do not use the type of chain we do.

I think it goes back to basics-what do big rig diesels run? What does heavy quipment engens run? What was the original design on the 6.2 supposed to have before bean counter got involved? Gears, no chains.

Whats the real downside? It costs more to make them.

Alright, $102!

Other than "slop" in the timing chain, I'm still trying to figure out what potentially catastrophic problem these timing gear sets address?

I can tell you about my experience with the drives. I installed one on my mostly stock (3 inch downpipe) 94 6.5TD Blazer and set the timing to -1.94 IIRC. The engine became more responsive and the throttle response was a lot more crisp. The engine also liked the higher end of the RPM scale whereas before it would struggle along at highway speeds. Low end response was really enhanced in my opinion. From a noise perspective idle was a lot louder, similar to what you would hear on a really cold morning. It sounded better so I didn't mind that. Mileage seemed to improve a bit but I don't have data so take that for whatever you want. On an interesting note, the technician who set the timing for me commented on how little variation there was during setup. One could speculate the pump was more effective at delivering fuel due to reduced timing variation = smoother overall operation.

Granted, the new timing and gear drive produced the results I observed and I don't have experience running the advanced timing alone on a stock drive or running the gear drive on the stock timing, but I do believe they both work very well together.

When I sold the Blazer and picked up my Suburban I didn't think twice about getting another.

Back