• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS5 pump number?

silveradostew

Shadetree Mechanic
Reaction score
I've got a guy who has a new (sitting on the shelf for 3 or 4 years) pump with these numbers - L5 DS5 S5068 J 8394739 10225929 H9 - I couldn't find the DS5 on the Standadyne pump number thread.....is this an okay pump and is there anything wrong with it sitting the shelf for that long?

Thanks in advanve guys.
Jared

If I'm not mistaken, that is the early 94 HD pump as I see it has the 5068 in the pump number.

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like maybe I don't want the pump after all. It was a heck of a price, but I thought I ought to check it out first.
Thanks again.

What's the price? I've given all my spares away, so if the price is low enuff, I'd buy it for a disassembly show'n'tell photo shoot and theory of operation for the Tech section

Below was the posting, you can search for the craigslist ad number: 951454655

6.5L Diesel injection pump 1995-2002 model

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-12-09, 2:05PM CST

I have a New Factory 6.5L Diesel injection pump 1995-2002 model. This is new from the dealership retail over $1,450.00
I have no need for it so $100.00 takes it

Wouldn't do any good if it is a DS4-831-5068 - takes a special PCM program to handle the ramps in the special camring, which is the only thing different - Wester's did something with it, but couldn't get it to work for Canadian Rigger - that's the point of the recent GM TSB, posted here week B4 last - also, the DS5 makes no sense - nom is Distributor-type, Solenoid, 4-plunger, usually 831, meaning 8-cylinders 0.31" pumping plungers, then the calibration specs, as in 5521, which was the currently shipped spec from 2000^

Wouldn't do any good - takes a special PCM program to handle the ramps in the special camring - Wester's did something with it, but couldn't get it to work for Canadian Rigger - that's the point of the recent GM TSB, posted here week B4 last - also, the DS5 makes no sense - nom is Distributor-type, Solenoid, 4-plunger

Arent there others running around with succesful versions though? Is quantum_mechanic the developer of the the HO DS4? I dont know whatever happend to him but he really seemed to know his way around a 6.5 much like you and Tim.

At that time, qm was pretty much the laughing stock of the knowledgeable 6.5 community, doggedly following his 'points of light' - he had a ragged-out 6.5 with the factory 5068, then converted it to standard DS4 that I donated, thereupon requiring the standard eProm for his OBD1 3500 - farzinowknow, Wester's was the only professional attempt at hot-rodding the 5068 - get CR's input to guage the success of that venture

Lol, goes to show how much I remember I was just a young lad when all that was going on, with my new to me 6.5 and all sorts of great ideas to build the baddest 6.5 ever. I've grown a little since then, and dropped the 6.5 and all my last reminants of my collection this past thursday. I did find alot of his cam profile chats to be intriguing, but wasnt convinved enough to take his word for it. Anyone ever get any where messing with the cam? As I recall he was trying to in effect get an 18:1 motor by manipulating the cam profiles?

That and drilling the centers of the valves, drilling out areas of the pistons, offset-grinding the crankshaft - all perfectly viable operations under certain accurately-machineable circumstances, just not done under a shade tree in your front yard with files and hammers and nails - scary stuff

Cam timing, very critical when the fuel is trucked in with the intake air charge and fuel\air ratio must be managed within that timing, assumes less importance when you have a compressor blowing full charge of air into the cylinder, and fuel rate and timing is precisely controlled in each injection event, long after the intake stroke has ended - could be worthwhile on the naturally-aspirated 6.5's, but little improvement on the turbo version within stock 6.5 rpm limits

Last edited:
Back