• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 vs ECU

6.5L

Old Iron Runner
Reaction score
I thought at one point you can't change ECU between years or was that pumps? I got a customer with a 94 6.5L, IP is bad, he is looking for cheap temp fix, and found a guy selling a few spare used DS4's. One is from a 94, the others are 96-98ish I think. I am checking to try to get the 94 pump (I know 94 was a funky year) but can it be a straight swap of just IP? Or is there something I need to get with it? Not fancy with the DS4 electronic crap

As long as it's not the 5068 IP any of the IPs will work. ECUs don't interchange much. Usually only the HDs got the 5068 in 94.

Isn't it just a eeprom chip change for the oddball IP same ECU? Needs to be a 1994 chip for the trans, but, some people can burn any chip you like.

For 94 it isn't the ECM, but the EPROM chip that's different. ALL 94's got one ECM, and all 95's got another(although they do interchange with each other so nobidy knows why 2 different part numbers). If the truck has a 5068 on it, then you must go back with a 5068 OR change the EPROM aplicably.

So the truck has a DS4-5459 in it actually, which from some stuff I found online is an old pump from a 1999 year model truck. So being a 1999 pump in a 1994 truck, and everything seemed to be working up until this point, can I assume if I get a DS4-55221 from a 2000 that it will go in just fine?

If GM did the pump under warranty, then it most likely got the updated PROM from GM to run the newer style pump. Sounds like your good to go.

Back