• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DS4 IP rebuild time(mechanical aspect only)

I took one of my IP's apart.
Here's what i found,FS armature pin broke off from the plate .Bound to kill an IP me thinks,wonder what code it would've set

Wont take much to fix this.

Attachments

• FS pin 001.jpg
    FS pin 001.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 13
  • FS pin 002.jpg
    FS pin 002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 13
Another mechanical IP failure.That's # 2 out of the bunch

That heap of chips was once a spring identical to the one front, it started to break up as well.
the spring holder broke a piece off too.
Both are from the 2 poppet valves in the rotor head.

Attachments

• IP spring failure.jpg
    IP spring failure.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 15
So, I have one with fuel leaking out the weep hole at bottom front at drive end. How much disassembly do I need to do to just replace the drive shaft seal,s? Can I avoid taking everything apart? I've had probably close to 100 5.7 and 6.2 pumps apart for seals and new riveted governor weight rings. Injection pump repair place wants $550 to repair leak and test. thanks

ESO ,Engine Shut Off solenoid.

pretty much the whole pump has to come apart to get to the seals.
It can be done,but is not a job for the less mechanical inclined.

Well, did the pump today; made some notes at disassembly. It is all back together now sitting on bench. Glad I had done many of the older pumps, as there were some similarities. The inner shaft seal is a bugger to slide the shaft through. Had to use a small screwdriver to spread lip to get it through. Hope I didn't nick seal. Also had to fiddle with head to get it the whole way in. Kept hanging up about 1/4 inch out. The optical sensor, I hope is back close to your pictures. I loosened bolt before I realized that it slides back and forth. Otherwise, I think I'm good to go. I'll report back after reinstalling pump and getting truck running. BTW, that inner seal was really torn up when I disassembled the pump. No wonder It leaked so much.

Got the truck running; no more leak. BTW, what is the effect if the optical sensor isn't quite in the correct location? (Slightly advanced or retarded?) Not me- IP. I already know I'm retarded

i do veg systems on these 6.5s even though it is the worst diesel to do it to but i have worked out alot of the problems that the veg causes. one thing i want to do is increase the abount of fuel volume returning to the tank. my systems work by purging apon shut down. the return valve stays on the veg tank as the supply of diesel is turned on, pushing the veg back to the veg tank. it takes a long time to flush all the veg out. If i could increase the volume on the return side it would shorten the purge time. any sugestions?

i do veg systems on these 6.5s even though it is the worst diesel to do it to but i have worked out alot of the problems that the veg causes. one thing i want to do is increase the abount of fuel volume returning to the tank. my systems work by purging apon shut down. the return valve stays on the veg tank as the supply of diesel is turned on, pushing the veg back to the veg tank. it takes a long time to flush all the veg out. If i could increase the volume on the return side it would shorten the purge time. any sugestions?

That is a tough one.

There is not realy a way to speed up flushing the fuel trough the filter and IP cause the IP return is controlled trough a largely non adjustable metering valve at the return port on the IP outlet to keep a set IP housing pressure.All the fuel goes trough the transfer pump before exess is bled to the housing.

In theory you could install a soleniod valve teed in to the IP inlet to bleed veg off to the tank while keeping flow going to the IP as well.That is if the LP gives enough volume to keep up.
It'll be a kind of hard to tell when the purging is complete at the IP inlet

Best thing i can think of is to switch back to diesel far enough ahead of time.

Like Bison said the return fitting regulates housing pressure. If you make it flow more you will get faster flow through the IP as long as your LP is high powered like Bison said. PMDcable.com just started carrying a new Walbro that would do the trick, but Leroy is out of town next month. People that have a real hard time maintaining LP pressure to the IP may actually have a return fitting that is out of tolerance and is flowing too much and LP cant keep pressure up.

Back