• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

driving on highway, new engine?

Jason63

Reaction score
i was wondering, what in the more experienced opinions is the earliest i should drive my pickup on the highway, the highways here are 55 and you can't even drive that fast for a lot of it. i have 60 miles to drive, and i only have about 75 miles on my reman, would it be a bad idea to drive that far?

I just heard keep it easy, and keep adjusting speed and engine rpm, dont' settle in at 2000 for a while, keep it going up and down smoothly. Engine came with no break in procedure paperwork to maintain warranty?

nope it did not, ive taken it out a couple times, but the farthest out of town i went was about 3 miles, it seemed to do fine, i have checked fluids and codes about every 5 miles and no problems so far, i just don't want to mess it up, it was about $4000 that i didn't really have in the first place

Like Matt said about the RPM's, try not to let them sit, to long (something to do with seating the rings or something).......also there is a oil change schedule on a fresh/refreshed engine.....something like 100mi, 200mi, 500mi 1500mi, don't quote me on those exact change intervals, but something like that......someone will chime in.

Might be just me, on a newly rebuild engine, i change oil and filter after 100 km,take it easy for other 100, then she better stays together, cause the baby sitting is over. IMO rings will seat better when you load the engine.

well shes still running great, ive got 250 miles on it now and it seems to have stopped running strange occasionally, i think it was the rings seating that was causing my cylinder imbalance codes, cause none of them came back after clearing

My dad said one of his friends said to seat the rings you put the throttle to the floor and hold it for about 10 seconds, then your good to go. Theres no way in hell Id ever do that.

Missy says this.

If the thing has been warned up good and there are no leaks and temps and pressures are stable then have at it.

These engines are not fragile like the kitchen china.

I would not hesitate to stick the little creature on the road for 500 miles non stop.
Varying the speed won't hurt it as it directs oil to different parts of the engine at varying quantities.

If the engine is built to proper specs there is very little break in time needed.

The days of babying an engine are long over with.

The initial 5-30 minutes with an all new engine are the critical time.

The 6.5 has a roller cam so the cam break in on a non issue.

If it has no leaks and the temp stays stable along with the oil pressure, take it and go.

An occasional stop to check for any leaks is a good idea.

Take along a screw driver and check the Hose clamps pn the coolant hoses a couple times on a trip.

Once these have seated well its business as usual.

I rebuilt my Burb in summer 06. Once started and warmed up I gave it a 10 mile easy test run then put it on a 2 mile hard pull (7% grade) under hard throttle.

Job done.

Headed out the next day for a 200 mile run to the coast and back

If its right its right, if it's wrong, all the cream puffing in the world is not gonna save it.

Runner.

Best

MGW

Many motors in many decades. Rebuilt my first motor at 12 years old, a Fiat 500. First truck was a model A roadster pickup, the original compact truck.
Oils, crankcase ventilation, filtration, and metalurgy are much better now.

New motors, I still change oil at 100 miles, then 500, then 3000 for life, unless you use a dry sump oil system (fodder for a different forum). If you use a magnetic drain plug, you can see why. Ring seating is the reason to vary the load in the initial miles.

If I were breaking in an engine I personally didn't build/blueprint myself, I'd be a little leary as well.

There is no RULE per-se, but if the clearances are right, there is really little reason to baby the thing, -as like MGW stated, roller cam, moly rings, etc.

The initial oil changes are a given, -it is always recommended that the oil be changed out in the first 100 miles, then 300, -etc.

I ran mine nice for the first 100 or so miles, -then changed the oil and LET 'ER RIP. I had no issues matting the pedal and rowing through the gears shifting at 4 grand, -even with only 150 miles on the clock. :thumbsup:

Like several others have said, -if there is something amiss in the assembly, or a bad part, it usually makes an appearance in pretty short order after the initial fire is lit.

Break it in like how you are going to use it every day.

My .02

cool, yeah i see how that makes sense, well im up to 350 now and still no prob so im thinking im in the clear

Break in oils are usually lighter weight and less lubricity. They help to "wear" in. As far as I know they are a good thing

Leo

cool, yeah i see how that makes sense, well im up to 350 now and still no prob so im thinking im in the clear

For what its worth.
I have always changed the oil on a break in like others have stated ( 100, 500, 1500 and then every 3000). Once the 500 mile mark has been hit I drive it like I intend to use it (sometimes harder). I have always gotten over 200,000 out of my gassers and have only owned one 6.5 and it’s still going strong but I didn’t break it in. just figured I would give you my .02 too. Give it another 150 miles change the oil and go for it.

Break in oil is a waste of your hard earned $$$$$

Fill the crankcase with a good 15-40 diesel rated oil (Rotella T Or Delo)
Run for about 200 to 300 miles, dump the oil and filter, refill and call it good.

You folks are getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too anal about this stuff.

My new Cat 500 HP got run from Bellingham Washington to Newberg Oregon. (Couple hundred showing on the clock) non stop at 65 MPH and then the next day right to work hauling 105500 ## up steep grades.

Been doing that stuff for over 560K miles now.

Your new (fresh) 6.5 can be put to work doing what it was meant to do with little bother

I would not be afraid to take a fresh engine, give it a short shake down to be sure there are no leaks etc and then hook up to the trailer and haul tail for the other side of the world.

These things dont need to be cream puffed.

I learned to break and engine in by warming it up to op temp then 5 times from 0-60 at WOT and 5 times from 60-0 at zero throttle.

Balls to the wall boys. run em like you want them to live.

These are precision machined engines. The days of breaking things in comes from the early days when parts were not fit to exacting tollerances and the breakin time was needed to wear off any high spots.

You can take one of these 6.5's, place it on a dyno and run it as hard as it will go for days, weeks or months and not hurt it, right out of the box..

The practice of dumping the oil after a couple hundred miles is only to get rid of any left over crap that may have become dislodged from any nooks and crannies.

A freshly machined block will likely see some crud show up.

Dump the oil, change the filter, refill and go fly.

Enjoy your new little creature.

MGW

Back