• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drivetrain configuration - does this make sense?

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
When I got my front end aligned and the new pitman arm installed, I asked the mechanic to find out what I had as far as the drivetrain went. Everything is behind the 6.5 - so I don't know if that makes any difference. I gave him all the choices that my Chilton's manual gave and he picked the following:

Tranny - T-5 Muncie (MW3-New Venture 2418(?) New Venture) (I briefly looked up the combination T-5 Muncie and from what I read the T-5 is weak and not interchangeable with a Muncie...) I do have a 5 speed manual - so would this really be a NVG4500?

Transfer Case - 241/243

Differential Rear - 10 1/2 (I have the 13" brakes, and the parts I've asked for so far have matched up, so I believe this is right)

4/10 (he has an arrow coming from the transfer case...is there a gear ratio for the transfer case?)

Any help or clarification would be nice...I would like to change my tranny and transfer case fluid and don't want to put the wrong thing in. Thanks!

VIN is 1GCGK29F6TE10001 - if that helps any

Transmission behind your 6.5L is the NV4500

Your transfercase is the NP241 (floorshift), unless you have push button (doubt it) then it's a NP243. The ratio of the transfercase is 1:1 in highrange, and 2:72 in lowrange. There is a tag on the back stating what model/ratio it has.

Rear end is either a 9.5" 14bolt semifloat, but more likely the 10.5" 14bolt fullfloat (has large hubs that stick out of brake drums)

Your gear ratio is most likely 3.73 or 4.10. Look in your glovebox RPO codes. 3.73 = GT4, 4.10 = GT5

I'll forward this to Devin (83GMCK2500) and he can run a vin breakdown once he gets home.

hm....1GCGK29F6TE100011 - try that...sorry about that - apparantly I missed it :( I do have all of the RPO's - and I'll post those when I get a chance...or maybe not since I wrote them all out. And, I do have a full floating rear-end. I've already taken apart 1 side to change the brake cylinder, bearings, and oil seal.

oh, and thanks!!! for all the help!

Thanks David!! I sure appreciate it!!

what does - "K60 GENERATOR,100 AMPERE 100 AMP" mean? Is that just my electrical system as a whole? Or is it talking about something separate?

Word. Asking questions is how you learn. That is how i've learned all the things I have, or trial and error although that one usually ends in more frustration.

What'd you go to college for? (degree that is)

Bachelor's degree in Building Construction Management from Purdue University - Main Campus. (and for all you college fans - I don't watch sports nor do I cheer for this team or that team...I just went there for the education)

Word. Asking questions is how you learn. That is how i've learned all the things I have, or trial and error although that one usually ends in more frustration.

Oh, yea - I don't deny that at all. Questions and experience and reading are my three biggest. But honestly...I don't think it was school that made me apologetic for asking questions. I think it was my previous job (before Aspen Group) where my boss/co-workers would yell at me for saying nothing, let alone asking a question.

Nice. I'm currently at Washington State University doing an Architecture and Construction Management double major.

No, I'm on my 5th year right now, working on probably another 3 or so.

After school I have no idea what i'm doing, something in the construction industry.

No, I'm on my 5th year right now, working on probably another 3 or so.

After school I have no idea what i'm doing, something in the construction industry.

wow...well, i hope you're enjoying yourself, haha. I never enjoyed school that much, so I was glad when I got out.

Back