• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Driven wood posts

The ground is, basically flat. I anticipate I have enough pasture for 2 animals. I think I've got about 2 acres to fence in, so not much, really. Yeah, they scratch on whatever they feel like, so I want to deter damage if I can.

I've considered solar and haven't totally ruled it out, but it's just not what I'm wanting to do.

Neighbors had woven wire and no electric and that didn't go so well for them. I don't even think they had a barbed strand at the top. That was a disaster waiting to happen. Other neighbor has high tensile and electric, I believe. His cattle spent as much time at my place as they did at his.

We tend to go backward on technology when we can, and this is just one more step for us. The Amish fence in cattle all the time, but I see a lot of woven wire where I've been recently. I really can't stand that stuff. There's nothing that can be done to keep it looking neat, in my opinion. Once the weeds start up through it, too, it's pretty well going to look bad, from then on out.

Jay, those are the little critters that are leaving walnut shells all over my barn floor - can't keep 'em in and can't keep 'em out!

You need a better fence energizer, I keep my Bulls in with a 3 wire barbed fence. Cows can be on the other side.

I don't have any fence up yet, NVW, but the information you provided is just what I'm looking for. If you're doing it with 3, then it makes me feel better about using 6.

I use the strongest Zareba energizer, 200 mile version, http://www.zarebasystems.com/store/electric-fence-chargers/beac200m-z....

Cows, horses, deer won't get close to it... I have about 5 miles worth of high tension wire 4 strands high... very happy, 3 year warranty even for lightening strike's... I use T post between phone pole post every 200ft and corners...

I don't keep much tension on it because it's not needed for mine and that keeps things a little straighter longer...

Also, what ever charger you go with, the ground loop should be large as in 3-5 8' ft rods linked.. I use one strand of the fence as a ground and have several rods all around the perimeter...

as previously mentioned, electric fence is only as good as how well your grounding set up is. don't cheap out on that part. one job i had years ago was maintain electric fence to keep cattle out of riparian areas. they were all solar setups and when properly grounded they would put out 40,000 volts. I'd get zapped once on awhile. daym that hurt. cattle wouldn't mess with them.

One of the fence problems we have in this area is post rot. Does anybody have a good solution?

Can't find hedge posts anymore.

I need 3/8 miles of fence installed - Just boundary fence. The land will be in CRP - so no pasturing allowed.

Any ideas on what the fence should cost? Or what and where I can find materials. Since it is just a boundary fence, I could use, used posts and wire.

My neighbors threw away enough fencing to do what I need a couple years ago.

Last edited:
One of the fence problems we have in this area is post rot. Does anybody have a good solution?

Recall an episode of one of the 'Old House' type shows that the recommendation for wet / wet-ish areas was to put some stone at the hole's base, put in the post, and then fill the gap with stone. Reasoning was that the stone would allow the water to percolate away.

Recall an episode of one of the 'Old House' type shows that the recommendation for wet / wet-ish areas was to put some stone at the hole's base, put in the post, and then fill the gap with stone. Reasoning was that the stone would allow the water to percolate away.

This is to do with the new posts. We didn't have any problem with the old hedge posts - there are many still in use around here 100 years later - Those that have not been ripped out

Do they make steel fence posts that will last a very long time?

Most of the T posts I know of rust off after 10 years or so.

Does anybody know of who I could hire to install 3/8 mile of boundary fence. - No real practical use other than marking territory. Not for the ext 10 years at least. But after that it would be nice if it could be rewired for pasture

Sounds like a regional thing. Do you have a lot of termites we seem too and other bugs carpenter bees etc maybe our pressure treating is stronger?????

Your soil must be hard on posts. Metal T post last a long time here. Are we talking about the Ag style (around here) solid metal T post or the lighter stamped ones?

Post has to be treated with good preservative or some exotic woods. Pressure treating has changed so I am not sure of best brands. There are treating ratings. Mostly see ground contact rated and a lighter versions. Can't see why a post wouldn't be ground contact rated but still brand and quality matter. I'd talk to a good Ag store and see what options are. Seems nice expensive 5-6" dia. ones I get from the older independent Ag feed store last pretty good. The cheaper 3-4 inch post tend to warp and don't last as long. The bigger retail stores Tractor Supply, Lowes, The HomeDepot don't seem to carry the same exact kind as the Ag store. Might be a grade difference????

Sounds like a regional thing. Do you have a lot of termites we seem too and other bugs carpenter bees etc maybe our pressure treating is stronger?????

Your soil must be hard on posts. Metal T post last a long time here. Are we talking about the Ag style (around here) solid metal T post or the lighter stamped ones?

Post has to be treated with good preservative or some exotic woods. Pressure treating has changed so I am not sure of best brands. There are treating ratings. Mostly see ground contact rated and a lighter versions. Can't see why a post wouldn't be ground contact rated but still brand and quality matter. I'd talk to a good Ag store and see what options are. Seems nice expensive 5-6" dia. ones I get from the older independent Ag feed store last pretty good. The cheaper 3-4 inch post tend to warp and don't last as long. The bigger retail stores Tractor Supply, Lowes, The HomeDepot don't seem to carry the same exact kind as the Ag store. Might be a grade difference????

Solid metal T posts.
We do not have termites. Maybe the guys I know just bought cheap posts. Farmers are not always known to buy the best products or to keep up on maintenance.

I know the old Hedge posts lasted forever. If you put them in green in the spring, a lot of times they would even start sprouting.

Is it even possible to buy hedge posts commercially>?

http://www.ptciclassifieds.com/listings/905013/

What's a good spacing for the boundary fence? 1980 foot run. At 14' I would need 142 posts

Last edited:
Install posts according to future plans. If that means they're spaced at 32', for now, then you can add the others at a later date, when it's actually time for fence. Just a thought.

Treat your corner posts differently, though. My line posts are at 36" deep and are vertical, but the corners are set at 48" deep and they lean away from the pull direction by about 2" at the top.

Install posts according to future plans. If that means they're spaced at 32', for now, then you can add the others at a later date, when it's actually time for fence. Just a thought.

Treat your corner posts differently, though. My line posts are at 36" deep and are vertical, but the corners are set at 48" deep and they lean away from the pull direction by about 2" at the top.
I have some 3" stainless heavy wall tubing I was going to use for corner posts.

I have to get a new survey do to a neighbor pulling the survey stakes. I find it rather irritating. Not to mention expensive

Back