• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drive line "clunk" repair...

You did, remember? :smash:

Or did having your finger in that tube of grease make your mind wander? ):h

You did, remember? :smash:

Or did having your finger in that tube of grease make your mind wander? ):h
Sure did look like he was having WAY too much fun there...):h

I've never had that kind of heat on the front like that, even in real hot weather.
FWIW, the normal threshold of pain for an adult male is 150* F. That means you can just hold your hand in place on something that temp without serious pain.

the only thin in there is the output shaft of the transfer case. i dont think anything touches the the yoke on the outside except the seal. i wonder how the fluid looks??? maybe a bearing is going bad and causing alot of heat.

Well I crawled under mine tonight when I got home from work. I have a 30 mile commute and its all highway. Tranny was running at about 170*. I was able to hold the part of the yoke that holds the U joint. It was warm. The part of the yoke that slips into the transfer case got hotter the closer you got to the transfer case. I could not keep my hand on the tail of the transfer case very long, it was hot. Maybe the heat is radiating from the transmission.

I dont know. Its coming from somewhere. It was hot enough where I couldnt grab hold of it and keep my hand on it. Then again, it was 95 degrees outside, my tranny temps were at 200 when I pulled into his garage and it had only been sitting for maybe 20 minutes.

You did, remember?

Or did having your finger in that tube of grease make your mind wander?

I dont remember. I think I'm retarded.

I pulled the driveshaft about an hour ago after a 65 mi drive home in 78* weather. Sat for maybe 15 min. I would estimate the front u-joint was 125* or so (trans had been at 150*) and the front of the yoke was right around 140-150*. Tailshaft housing was probably 125* but that radiates heat away pretty quick. Nick, with your trans running 200* and in your ambient temps at 90*+, I wonder if you actually have a problem. Remember, anything over 150* is too hot to hold your hand on.
Anyhow, there is nothing wrong with my u-joints. They're as tight as new. I did do as Bill suggested and clock the differential yoke 180. Put some chassis (GL2) grease in there and on the OD. Used blue loctite on the bolts. Took it for a test drive and still have the shake but maybe not as bad. I'll know more on my drive in the morning.
Why the hell is a tooth missing on the internal spline? It will still go on in any direction just like any other driveshaft...:wtf:
Actually I think I was off 1 tooth from the original position when it went back in.

Still shakin' but maybe a tad better... Could just be me. I'm thinking a bad balance on one wheel and I'm due for shocks (obviously).

so after i left u guys i went to check my shaft:D, i took it out from the truck, and i could easily hold my hand on the slip joint. it was warm, but not hot. i was driving around for about 40 minutes prior to taking it off, trans at 150*ish. i had a small amount of fluid on the end of the slip joint. i greased the inside well, and rotated the rear 180* as well. the vibration went down just a little bit, but still noticeable at highway speeds. i did however spin my u-joints as much as i could, and it sounded like there was a little bit of sand inside two of them. i dont think it was sand, but thats what the sound reminded me of.

Last edited:
You have a bad u-joint Ken... sad to say.
I'm kinda convinced I have bad balance on 1 wheel and the 100k shock isn't dampening it any more. I'm not going to go with expensive Bilstiens though. I don't do any farm field off road any more so any half way decent shock will do.

On a positive note, I had the tires rebalanced last Thurs and 3 of the 4 were out 2.5 to 3 oz. Smoothed it out as good as new.

hows your "clunk" Nick?

I think I have it happening on the 04

You'll know it if you've got it. You'll be able to feel it through the gas and brake pedal. You'll hear it. I actually had two clunks if I started off from a light where I was completely stopped.

Any word on this Ken?

two new u-joints, a half rotation of the rear end, and a greasing of the slip joint. what an adventure that was, thank you CT and your calcium chloride! still a vibration at highway speeds, although not as much. i have a feelin it is the tires, and im gonna need new ones before the winter anyway. i will probably go and have them rebalanced, in my spare time :rolleyes5:, untill i can get the new set

Back