• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

draining the tank……water!

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
finally tried to start the 96 after removing/replacing the burned wires. crank but no start. crack ffm to check for air, looked like water. open ffm drain into clear container: looked like a glass of Dasanti! i drained 5 gallons so far. here a video:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/0a7d0e32.mp4
cap is locking so it was not intentional. think it came from the fuel mix, separated and built up over time.
been enjoying the mpg from the tdi jetta so much, kept putting this off but now i think this is the problem causing a no start that i now have hope.
btw, only diesel for the jetta!

Photo or video deleted it said...

Could water make it between the bed and cab and into the sending unit area- the tubes or split oring or something?

here's the og video:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/deejaaa/0a7d0e32.mp4

i got er running. drained all the tank. ran a pitcher of ord. ran supply line to catch can. turned it over to purge the lines. felt it trying to catch every now and then. but then it started. here's a video. tuna can wasn't connected yet.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/deejaaa/55f8d950.mp4
i will get some tank treatments and run a fresh tank to give it an all clear.
pretty sure the water came from the fuel but i will give it a look to see if there was a chance that happened. thanks for the input.
this all started with this:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?33743-Is-This-Normal-Intake-Removed

I would suggest you get Power Service Bio-kleen and dose your system. This brand dissolves in fuel where other kinds may just fall to the tank bottom. (Normal diesel only grows stuff at the bottom fuel water interface. Bio grows it everywhere due to being hygroscopic.) Looks like you are fighting bugs in fuel like I was. On biodiesel or veggie oil the bugs make their own water from fuel breakdown. Adding regular fuel appears to drop water out of suspension from the biodiesel. Pure biodiesel appears to hold more water in suspension when pure and less as you add normal diesel.

funny Leroy.
i will be getting tank treatments tomorrow and filling it up to purge the tank.

picked up some biocide, water disperser and fuel lube today. will fill up and drive with fingers crossed.

1st thought if just treating fuel & running it; carry several spare new filters, if you have "bugs" in fuel after the biocide kills them they will drop into suspension and clog filts much earlier depending on level of "bug infestation", I'd treat and drop/clean again after treatment.

Another possibility if you don't want to drop & drain tank, rig up a circ system, where you disconnect the filter mgr outlet run tube to the tank and circ back to the tank fill with the lift pump forced to run, but filtration will be at only the stock micron rating.

Another way to do it is go to tractor farm supply or similar and get a "goldenrod" or similar fuel filter fairly cheap as filters go, get a fine filter element smaller the better < 10 micron and let the lift pump forced on, push through that for a few hours, remembering a lift pump is supposed to be about 28gph that should get rid of any residual "dead bugs" in your tank or at least reduce them to a point the on engine filter won't be needing a lot of changes until you clean the system, plus you won't be sending the <10 micron stuff to the IP (or whatever the factory rating is on the 93 fuel filter).

1st thought if just treating fuel & running it; carry several spare new filters, if you have "bugs" in fuel after the biocide kills them they will drop into suspension and clog filts much earlier depending on level of "bug infestation", I'd treat and drop/clean again after treatment.

Another possibility if you don't want to drop & drain tank, rig up a circ system, where you disconnect the filter mgr outlet run tube to the tank and circ back to the tank fill with the lift pump forced to run, but filtration will be at only the stock micron rating.

Another way to do it is go to tractor farm supply or similar and get a "goldenrod" or similar fuel filter fairly cheap as filters go, get a fine filter element smaller the better < 10 micron and let the lift pump forced on, push through that for a few hours, remembering a lift pump is supposed to be about 28gph that should get rid of any residual "dead bugs" in your tank or at least reduce them to a point the on engine filter won't be needing a lot of changes until you clean the system, plus you won't be sending the <10 micron stuff to the IP (or whatever the factory rating is on the 93 fuel filter).
great suggestion. this is on the 96 and i already have a goldenrod so it won't be hard to rig up a recirc system. i will remove the filter element at the FFM, use the IP feed line and the siphon pump instead of the LP. not really sure i have bugs but it was suggested since i had so much water, that might be bug byproduct. all 3 treatments were less than 20.00 so no loss.

Back