• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dorman Turbocharger Vane Position Solenoid

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I hear you Mike. Yes. Both codes. I read up that a new turbo vane position sensor COULD solve the issue. I figured I'd take a shot...

It's possible that the vanes are stuck open. I don't really seem to have a loss of power at top end. At idle I get stronger diesel exhaust smell..

Not looking forward to pulling Turbo on this. Seems like real big job...

There is a relearn procedure for VGT turbos. But like stated above more than likely you have a stuck unison ring. You need a scanner with bidirectional controls so you can command the turbo. If the actual and desired vane position doesn't match more that likely the ring is stuck. You can test the sensor by removing from the turbo and leaving it plugged in. Push it down and watch for it to change % on the scanner. If it goes from 0 to 100% smoothly its good.

Quick tip you can remove a duramax without pulling the manifolds. Ive got a trick that saves HOURS of repair time.

So more than likely its not this sensor? I was reading up that this sensor is prone to wear and when it does it throws the above mentioned codes. P2563 and P003A.

Does it do any damage to motor by running with these codes on contunuously?

What kind of scanner are you referring to? Tech2 scanner?
Not sure if my code reader can do that or not...

Thanks Mike. It looks like a big job. I will try and pull the sensor and test first. HOPEFULLY its a sensor. I really haven't noticed a big change in performance at all. Plenty of power on highway. Only real thing Ive towed was a trailer load full of wood. I didn't really notice much loss at low speed either. But the trailer is nothing for these trucks.
As far as fuel mileage goes, I'm still getting normal mpgs. 17-19 city. 20-21 on highway. At about 70-75mph. I do better if I keep it under 70.
Every so often I stomp the go pedal and it clears out the exhaust system. Lol

On an update, I think I will just buy a new turbo and do the install. 195k on the stock original one. Not really feeling like pulling it, cleaning it, reinstalling it and still having issues.
@Rockabillyrat
Any helpful tips gladly accepted.
About how long does it take to remove?

The up pipe bolts are hardened, so you really don't want to break one off in the manifold and have to drill it out. Heat and penetrant oil are your friend. I alway order replacement bolts because although they tend to come out, sometimes they damaged the threads. Normally use my really long 1/2 drive ratchet to get to the up pipe bolts at the turbo. Also if you remove the oil drain tube studs on the rear engine cover. You can slide the whole turbo out with the tube attached and save a ton of messing around. Its a tight and tedious job but it's no terrible.

OK. Thank you.
Approximately how long should it take to remove?
Depends on your skill level and the tools you have. I can have them out in about 2 hours if the up pipe bolts come out. But I've had some practice doing them. I'd put aside a better part of a day of you are looking to remove and replace all in the same day.

Back