• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

door spring

dusty

Reaction score
hi all i just took my door off to install new pins and bushings but how do i compress the short spring enough to get it back in place thanks 4 any info.

Special tool. A body shop can do this for you sometimes for just a beer.

Look on youtube for a video. Search door spring install or what ever.

You can use a vise to compress spring then zip tie it compressed while in vise, cut off excess zip tie material, install in door then cut off zip ties.

I just used this technique to install a spring on my tractor clutch spring. I tried to use a C clamp but it would buckle out of clamp. I don't have a vise so I used a pipe clamp which for this application was very similar to vise. The spring I was compressing was stout and I used 4 zip ties 3 would have worked.

Go get one of these:

31g2GREA1dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5-10 bucks.

I've used the "crush the spring in a vice" trick many times. I've always gotten away with it, but if it lets go, you're going to the hospital or the dentist.

I bought the tool a long time ago.

Money well spent...

Harbor freight (yeah I know made in China so is most of the other ones out there you pay big $$$ for) has the compressor for like $5 no more than you use it go cheap but safe, BJ is spot on vise works but a spring to face is no fun or spring gets lost when it flies to other side of the yard/shop.

Back