• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Door lock froze

bdemutis

Reaction score
Well I got my truck door open after the snow storm yesterday and now my truck door won't latch when I close it. I'm begging to hate snow and ice lol any ideas how to unfreeze my locks.

Well I think it's a different problem I leaned into the door a few times to break the ice now the latch is barely catching the pin it's not making contact all the way.

Spray the latch mechanism in the door with wd40 for lube and no icing. With the door open use a large screwdriver to operate the latch and watch that both arms are moving the full distance. Look at the striker pin and make sure it does not have a groove worn into it.

Spray the latch mechanism in the door with wd40 for lube and no icing. With the door open use a large screwdriver to operate the latch and watch that both arms are moving the full distance. Look at the striker pin and make sure it does not have a groove worn into it.
I think I bent the striker because I notice when I close the door it only closes the latch slightly I drove to work holding the door open luckily I only drive a mile or not even to work.

Right, but to check that you need to operate the latch and make sure it didn't just hang up one arm or anything you do won't work. If it did bend it, what it bent is not the striker, it bent the door jam where the striker mounts- bfh and a drift (dull brass punch like tool) to get it back in place. Then make sure door is in alignment and adjust the striker to proper location.

Right, but to check that you need to operate the latch and make sure it didn't just hang up one arm or anything you do won't work. If it did bend it, what it bent is not the striker, it bent the door jam where the striker mounts- bfh and a drift (dull brass punch like tool) to get it back in place. Then make sure door is in alignment and adjust the striker to proper location.
Will do I'll check it after work I did check the lock earlier with a screw driver I opened and closed it a few times I probably bent the door jamb but I didn't even elbow it hard I elbowed it twice just to Crack the ice then stuck my fingers behind the door and pulled from the handle and top and it popped open. I even checked the door that's not bent.

Back