• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Replacement

Big T

Reaction score
Doing a little research on door hinge pin replacement on the GMT 400 era trucks, and came across this excellent video

Fast forward to the end and he experiences the exact same bushing break-up that I did and in short order. Lot of comments about the crappy Dorman bushings with some recommending GM only bushings. Then finally someone came up with a source for solid bronze heavy duty bushings:

They ain't cheap at $30 per door, but you get what you pay for. I ordered 2 sets because I'm tired of messing around. They even offer oversized bushings for door hinges that have worn.

Will let y'all know how this goes.

I too will await for your report on these. My driver door is already loosening up where it’s bouncing on the striker. Need to do all 4 doors and don’t want to have to redo it again and again lol
You were the one who motivated me to do the search for good bronze bushings. It was not a hard search. First found the video, which mentioned the existence of them. Then found the source in the comments. I’ve had the cheap Dorman bushings work, but not for long. You (should) know things have gone bad when the door is sticking and you’re pulling extra hard on the interior door handle to open it, eventually bending that handle.

Oh, this video is a whole guide on door hinge pin replacement. Such a discovery! Since I'm unfamiliar with the process of door hinge pin replacement, I was told to seek assistance from a professional locksmith Bermondsey. A locksmith can provide the necessary guidance and perform the replacement. However, this video is like a guide that shed the light on the whole replacement process.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Tammara Pearse It's really not that difficult replacing the pins and bushing as long as you have something to support and lift the door or have a helper with you. there are some really good youtube videos out there showing all the details too. sometimes those videos help as showing all the details. it always helps me visually seeing rather than someone explaining it to me.

I have a few door tools that I doubt I ever use again.
The thingy that sits in the floor jack and holds the door and maybe a pin tool or 2.

Shipping would probably be too much. Given the tools aren't that expensive to begin with.

But if someone was in need and happened to be driving by
I could hook them up.

Oh, this video is a whole guide on door hinge pin replacement. Such a discovery! Since I'm unfamiliar with the process of door hinge pin replacement, I was told to seek assistance from a professional locksmith Bermondsey. A locksmith can provide the necessary guidance and perform the replacement. However, this video is like a guide that shed the light on the whole replacement process.
Welcome aboard Tammara Pearse. You will find this site loaded with people willing to help. I started this thread because this was my second go around replacing hinge pins and bushings. As you will find in the course of the thread, the bushings that come with the cheap made in China kits don't last if they even make it past the installation procedure. The posted video guides you through the installation process, but it also reference some custome HD sintered bronze bushings for which I posted the link to the manufacturer. Those bushings are the answer for a repair that will last long term and I would consider them an absolute must.

The installation process itself is not that hard. I've done it using an engine hoisting and ratchet strap and this last time I made do using ratchet straps over joists in the garage. Some use a floor jack, but you would need a second person to hold the door on the jack.

Good luck and report back on your progress and results.

See, and here I thought that was just spam adding a hot link to a lock smith- which never ever is the person to hire for replacing hinges.
My sillyness was thinking the software is scanning for posts less than a year old on repairs based around doors. I mean, are you happy to have a new King over Bermondsey @Tammara Pearse ?
Can ya post a pic of your diesel truck there in that part of London? Be kinda cool!

Back