• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Doomsday thoughts

The Don

in between lost and found
Reaction score
What would it take to make the LB7 a mechanical injected engine?
The theoretical thought behind this is, say the country gets hit with E.M.P., our lovely duramax motor is now an obsolete hulk of metal.
The older diesels which use no computer to operate will keep running.

Please keep the naysayers at bay I'm interested in the reverse engineering to keep my duramax alive without a computer.

It's doable as it has been done, but it is ALOT of work. You have to get a mechanical injection pump for it like an older CAT inline pump, have a set of injectors modified and made into pop style injectors instead of HPCR style, and make up injection lines for it.

So how you going to start the engine? Air starter?

Manual transmission? Lots of computer to run the Allison...
Even the 6.5's have a coil in the IP to hold the stop valve open and Cummings uses power to open the valve as I recall but needs no power to stay running.

There is a video of a mechanical belt drive IP Duramax out there on a tractor for sled pulling.

If an EMP hits there will be bigger issues than if your truck runs or not...

I was actually looking at a first gen cummins pump but the cat pump seems much more stout. Yes the trans would need to be a manual like an NV5600 or equivalent. an EMP blast can reach much farther than the actual bomb does damage, but yes there is radiation to worry about. now for a POP injector would you modify the existing design or machine a new set? an air starter would be a must have for this scenario. I'm working on a design for operating a compressor via bicycle, a little bit of peddling for exercise and fill the air tank simultaniously.

And thanks for the video that was one that stirred my interest.

I wonder if you could find a paint primer that is lead-based...maybe China? This would not protect against high radiation but if you got close to a hot zone you would have some protection. If you are really serious then a low cost giger counter is a must. Keep in mind avoiding is much better than protecting against...

Removable fender skirts all the way around for tire protection.

Back