• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does anyone know how to R&R 6.5 and 6.2 in block oil pressure relief valves?

spdgofast

Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm looking for information regarding the removal and replacement of the two oil pressure relief valves in the GM 6.5 or 6.2 engine. Not sure if a slide hammer with a screw in it is the way to go. I tried google but couldn't find anything.

Be sure You can find replacements afore tearing up the old ones.
I would not even know where to look for such a critter.
Are these part of the oil filter adaptor ? Oil pump ?

They are three separate parts, there is two different relief valves and a "cap plug" which looks like a small freeze plug with about a 1/16" hole in it. I removed the cap plug on a Guinee pig block I have by drilling about a 1/8" inch hole in it and using a slide hammer with a screw in it, but removing the actual valves everyone is saying dig them out with a screw driver but I'm going to try the drill a hole and the slide hammer method. The one for the oil cooler circuit is recessed about 1.5" down in a hole so digging it out with a screwdriver may damage the block in my honest opinion. I have all three parts new in the GM wrappers.

Sorry, I usually have the machinist pop them out.
real4wd.com is where I got my last ones. I am no where near my books/papers that have the part numbers. But you might check with Chris- see if he can get them too.

Back