• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do these cam bearings make my oil pressure look low?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Do these cam bearings make my oil pressure look low? Trick question: Of course it does! The Thrust Bearing is also out of endplay spec. Was A MT engine and looks to have lots of miles on it.

DSCN4087.JPG DSCN4088.JPG DSCN4089.JPG

Webs look pretty good despite.. I see maybe one little fracture unless it's just oil.

Meh bearings. Overrated.

Sealed power or latemodel clevites? Looks like bimetal main bearings, but tri metal cam bearings?

The Chinese block Bison sold me had cam bearings that looked just like those.

Dang I hope he's ok. Hate to see him loose his heard.

My 2004 optimizer came with GM stamped cam bearings in it. Crappy sectioned style. Wish I knew an outfit that made them full ring still.

Thought Federal Mogul had em.. (?)

Got a new set on the shelf for a build, been a while since I gathered them up.

Can't remember if they were the full ring or not. Probably should check.

This is it, #3 GM it spun. Came in my optimizer. Looks way worse since I popped it apart and egg shaped it in the process. The other 4 looked like they were 1 full piece and distorted bad before the seam on them popped.
IMG_2287.JPG

Geez Tough Crowd... o_O

So by the Military Manual we get a journal diameter of 2.164 - 2.166" with a clearance of 0.001 - 0.004"

So depending on camshaft bearing size we could have up to 2.170" measured bearing diameter.

Again the silver colored coating on these bearings is all but gone with only a little band left in the #1

DSCN4118.JPG

The bearing size itself could be ok at 2.168"

DSCN4128.JPG

But the cam journal is coming up small at 2.161". For grins I also moved the measuring device down until it was touching the ruler, 3 contact points, and same measurement.

DSCN4123.JPG

Been awhile since I slept in a Holiday Inn or worked assisting a machinist measuring razor sharp 40-450 ton compressor rotors to verify the grinder wasn't screwing them up during machining. Yes: better tool for the job available, but, it's all the tools we got in the shed here.

Even at minimum camshaft diameter we are at the max clearance. I wonder if they make undersized cam bearings...

Back