• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do 6.5 starters get weaker?

Drago

Reaction score
Do 6.5 starters get weaker? The Starter is OEM. my experience with starters is their impending doom is foretold by grinding or intermittent starts because of bad brushes or that whizzing sound when the solenoid is bad. I have two new OEM batteries installed, I haven't double checked the connections yet. If I need a new starter what numbers am I looking for. Lots of starters out there that fit the 6.5 from $86 to $186 in price.

If it just plain old wears out, it will spin slower and slower. It takes more and more power to kick them off.

Powermaster 9052 there's a number...

$315 ???? aaack . I'm sure it's worth it but I think I'll go OEM, that lasted 20 years.

The first thing to do when the starter seems weaker is to load test the batteries one at a time.
While taking off the batteries, inspect/clean all the cable connectors/terminal.
Then go from there.

Loose Ground wire on passenger side battery on air manifold

if the starter ran SLOW with the PASSENGER side ground only loose, I'd SERIOUSLY pull the crossover positive cable off, and clear the rubber, and clean the spacer, and the cable ends, and the battery... then replace the STUPID F&(&*(& stock bolts and put in threaded bolts and lock nuts. then coat everything with grease or terminal protection spray...

Half the batteries or half the brushes in the starter... Yes starters do spin slower after a brush or internal wiring to a brush/field failure. If you think you hear it spin slower, it is! Unlike a gas engine that will start barely spinning over a diesel has to have enough RPM to get the air hot enough to light the diesel. For our engine it is 100 RPM cold and 150 RPM hot.

if the starter ran SLOW with the PASSENGER side ground only loose, I'd SERIOUSLY pull the crossover positive cable off, and clear the rubber, and clean the spacer, and the cable ends, and the battery... then replace the STUPID F&(&*(& stock bolts and put in threaded bolts and lock nuts. then coat everything with grease or terminal protection spray...
the driver's side took a 1/8 turn and the P side was very loose with crud. pulled it out cleaned it up and it cranked like normal.

Back