• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY Turbo Master

The spring holds the wg closed, as exh pressure increases it pushes against the wg and therefor the spring. The more exh pressure the more the wg opens.

I don't know anything about bov's other than they are used on gas engines.

NVW, thank you very much!!! I just finished reading about BOV's and noticed they aren't needed because our diesels do not actually have throttle plates, instead amount of fuel is adjusted to increase/decrease rpm's. My vac pump is on her way out I believe, I'm starting to get black smoke on takeoff, and the truck now takes more pedal and feels like it doesn't have quite the "oomph" it once did. It even has to shift down to pull light highway hills, whereas it didn't back around early spring. Until I can get one made, I think I will do some testing with a pull-type spring setup.

Thanks again, Mike.

Again with the old thread bump, but I am experiencing same as Mike, (961500). Did the DIY TM help with your black smoke on take off?
I'm starting to get black smoke on takeoff, and the truck now takes more pedal and feels like it doesn't have quite the "oomph" it once did.

Lots of degenerative things could slow your turbo spool... not necessarily vac pump. Could be plugged cat / soot trap, leaky crossover, dirty air filter, vac leak in line, soot built up on wastegate flange, etc.

Put a helper-spring on the wastegate to help pull it closed as a diagnostic. If it works, start looking, very methodically.

After cutting apart the WG, hammering a threaded rod flat on one end, drilling some holes, I was able to make a TM. No more smoke. 10 PSI boost and a wicked loud whistle from inside the cab. Thanks to all for the replies and i can attest that if you have minimal power under initial acceleration, go turbo master. Mechanical wg is the best mod ever!!!

Hey when you guys make the turbo master for ur 6.5 what did you guys do with your vacuum lines? Thanks

Hey when you guys make the turbo master for ur 6.5 what did you guys do with your vacuum lines? Thanks
I plugged mine when I made my t/m. I also wonder if those who made their own t/m's were set n forget. I found with mine I'd set it for unloaded then have to readjust when towing. Heath's t/m solved that and never touched it again. I then put an ATT on and never worried about it again.

Back