• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY Turbo Master

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
Well, I finally felt called to make a turbo master. It's been on my mind for a while, but you know how it is, sometimes you just don't feel like it. Anyway, I used the original wastgate actuator(why re-invent the wheel),
5/16 threaded rod with flat washers,
a 5/16 nut with nylon locking capabilities.
The spring I used was a 5/8 by .080 thickness, 2.5 inches long. I thought the long spring would make for better adjustability and response and allow good movement.
Didn't take very long and was really easy.
When I get to my lathe a work, I am going to make a centering carrier for the top and bottom of the spring to keep it cetered.
Set as it is, it peaks at 11psi and has a sustained pressure of about 5-6psi.
Tools used: Socket set, flat screwdriver, angle grinder, welder, drill and drill bits.
Hope you like, I know lots have already done it.
Cheers,:hat:
Mike
PS: you can see where my vacuum line failed. POS!

Attachments

• Turbo Master 001.jpg
    Turbo Master 001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 515
  • Turbo Master 002.jpg
    Turbo Master 002.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Turbo Master 003.jpg
    Turbo Master 003.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 457
  • Turbo Master 005.jpg
    Turbo Master 005.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 480
  • Turbo Master 007.jpg
    Turbo Master 007.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 581
heres my home made tm and where i put my boost gauge,toggle for high idle

Attachments

• DVC00261.JPG
    DVC00261.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 1 048.JPG
    1 048.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 278
thanks,
also should mention to guys that want to make there own,i used the stock rod,just threaded the end

Its funny you said that putting a thread on the existing rod is what you did. I was looking at mine yesterday wondering if it would work, seeing as I don't have a welder at my disposal. Looks like I got no excuse now. :biggrin5:

Its funny you said that putting a thread on the existing rod is what you did. I was looking at mine yesterday wondering if it would work, seeing as I don't have a welder at my disposal. Looks like I got no excuse now. :biggrin5:

i threaded mine 12/24 and put 2 nuts on it, i would go 10/32 ,cant get a lock nut for 12/24

Thanks for all the info. I had a heck of a time getting the old actuator apart - but here's what I got and it still needs a little adjustment. If you look closely, you'll see a rubber hose between the actuator lever and the angle piece - I broke the collar that holds the lever into the wastegate lever, so I replaced it, but wanted a failsafe-so I'm hoping the hose will temporarily keep the lever from backing out.

Attachments

• Photo551.jpg
    Photo551.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Photo552.jpg
    Photo552.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 201
Looks good I'm new here and I was wondering if any one could tell me? Do I just plug the vacume line that I disconect from the original wastgate

Nice thread and very nice mod, very interesting! I'm new to diesel's and turbo's, I've read about turbo masters before and I assumed that the waste gate was still "modulated" with the turbo master. After seeing this I think I was wrong. The "TM" simply holds the waste gate open/close at a given amount? It doesn't actually modulate? The only reason you see increased WOT boost pressure is because of the increased exhaust?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Very interesting!

Thanks for posting.

Keith

Hi I'm new and I know this thread is wayyyy old, but I found it googling and the ONLY info that keeps this thread from being complete(especially for turbo newbs) is the answer to poptopjr's questions.

From poptopjr's post:

"The "TM" simply holds the waste gate open/close at a given amount?
It doesn't actually modulate?
The only reason you see increased WOT boost pressure is because of the increased exhaust?"

Now I personally think, atleast from looking at the pics, that the TM holds the wastegate closed until the intake pressures reach a certain point slowing the intake/exhaust turbines down thus causing exhaust pressures to build and forcing wastegate open. Is this correct?

My only other question is this: If the turbo gives random spikes of manifold pressure, would a blow-off valve release during the spikes, or does it require constant pressure to be held in manifold for a blow-off valve to release?

Thanks, and ofcourse I accept any/all flaming for digging this up....ofcourse I googled "how to make a turbo master for 6.5l" and this was a first-page find. You guys got alot of useful info for us googlers that creep around leeching info. ;)

Back