• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY Fan Clutch mod

Does this mean the fans on it's way out?

You should be able to feel a moderate amount of resistance if you try to spin the fan by hand, with the **ENGINE OFF**

If the fan just spins W/ no problem, your clutch is failing/failed.

this may be a dumb question - but when you say the fan engages, do you mean the fan clutch? My fan is always moving - and shouldn't it be when you have the engine running?

Fan clutches slip - always. They are locked in 20-30% of water pump shaft speed when completely disengaged. Full lockup is 80-90% of shaft speed. So the fan will always spin when the engine is running.

You will hear a roar from the fan when the clutch kicks in.

Possible you have a locked up clutch. Try and spin it with the engine off. You could also have a debris plugged radiator/condenser that is kicking in the fan as things get hot.

Fan clutches slip - always. They are locked in 20-30% of water pump shaft speed when completely disengaged. Full lockup is 80-90% of shaft speed. So the fan will always spin when the engine is running.

You will hear a roar from the fan when the clutch kicks in.

Possible you have a locked up clutch. Try and spin it with the engine off. You could also have a debris plugged radiator/condenser that is kicking in the fan as things get hot.

I can't remember ever hearing my fan roar - but then again, since my thermostat has been changed my temp hasn't gone above 210...i think (hasn't gone past the 12 o*clock position). And when the engine is off, the fan moves with slight resistance.

Thanks for the clarification!

Hi Guys,
I've been away for a while due to liver cancer, they've given me x months in 1995 so I'm hoping there(Docyore) wrong again. I tow pretty heavy with my truck and from a dead stop going uphill my temps would get a little higher than I felt comfortable with. I am running the SSD pump and dual crossover. Never a problem at highway speed, only when pulling hard from a stop on a steep incline. I did this slight adjustment with the spring thing and now fan kicks in at about 200f and drops back out at 190F. I personally would have it run a little to long than not long enough. Peace and Blessings - Mike
P.S. If you believe in prayer I would appreciate yours.

Mike, glad to see you back, sorry to hear you're still fighting that damn stuff... thought you had it whipped.

You're in our thoughts and prayers, my friend... keep the faith, brother!

Hello Mike,

I don't know you but continuing to prove MDs wrong 15 years later makes you quite a hero in my circles. You have my admiration. My family and I will keep you in our prayers. God bless.

Sincerely,
Franko

Peace and Blessings - Mike
P.S. If you believe in prayer I would appreciate yours.[/quote]

Mike, you got my prayers. I will keep you in them. You are an inspiration, to the survivors, keep the faith my friend it is all we have.

Looks like we are raising a banner for you; cool. Prayer on the engine forum; I love it.
Prayer sent.

Mike, Doesn't matter what the doctors say, ya can't go until Father calls ya home.
I saw my monitor go flatline (1981), and I'm still here; jump started.

You both have my prayers,know it works. It took over two years to find why my pelvis and ribs were hurting so bad. Started treatment 13 November 2009 never thought it could be good as it is now. I was about to throw in the towel.

Last edited:
Back