• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY Fan Clutch mod

I know you said the necks are unavailble "over there" but,Can't somebody "over here" send you one directly, or is that a no-no too? Not being a smarta$$ just curious.

Yep, that would be a possebility, but NOT a new, cauz the price plus shipping would be to expensive. There will also custom taxes here.
I've been looking in some used one on Ebay.com. They sell them starting from 10 bucks. Perhaps I'm lucky to get one cheap. Actually my repair seems to hold, but if I could a used one for "small money" (don't forget the shipping charges, german custom (~6%) tax AND german sales (19%) tax for ALL parts bought via the I-net outside of germany).

Cu,
Sven

Would taxes still aply if "I" bought it, and you sent (wired) me the money? Then I UPS or fed ex it to you direct.

Guys, I'm hearing too many talk about fan clutches to help the cooling at 60-75 mph. At freeway speeds your fan clutch shouldn't need to be doing squat. If you're having cooling problems at that speed you're not transfering heat well enough. Throw in some Red Line Water Wetter, bleed the air out of the top hose, clean the rats nest from between the rads, or something. My Kennedy clutch kicks in (KICKS in) when I'm going slow; that is with little or no air speed. Once I get some air speed I can feel and hear it unload. On the freeway it's freewheeling even with my trailer on and the ECT (scangauge) stays in the 190s. It was in the 90s here on Saturday and I never saw over 200* with the trailer on.

Mike

I've been pondering this. I don't recall my fan ever kicking on at low speed. Any time it has kicked in, I know it because I can hear it and it has always been when towing at highway speeds above 55mph.

I'm not sure it kicks on as soon as I would like for it to, but still, it turns on when there is a lot of airflow already.

Yep, taxes would still apply. Only parts/things below 20 Euro ~ 22 US-$ are free. But only if you can provide an invoice or similar to show at the customs.

Just got an email form a buddy in Nebraska, who change his truck from single to two thermostat housing, that he would/could sent me his old one. I'll have to see, how much he wants for it and how much the shipping would be (best way is USPS Priority or Global Express Mail - cauz UPS, FedEx, etc. are impudently expensive).

So thanks in advance for your friendly help, but I'll wait for his offer and than I would come back to you, to see/hear, what you could do - if still necessary.

Cu,
Sven

Why can't someone declare it as a gift on the customs dec ?

You can declare it as a gift or birthday present, but the german custom will not belive it and don't have to believe it. I have to bring the proof that it is one. How should I do that ? That's the german laws. Everything coming from OUTSIDE the european union above the value of 20 Euro have to be declared at the customs. Only one exception. If I come from holiday or similar back home to germany, I'm allowed to bring thing with my till ~ 450 Euro, but her also, if the customs think, that these are for trading and not for me personally, I have to pay taxes. Example . More than 3 (same) shirts in different sizes, ore 2-3 i-phones, etc.

Cu,
Sven

I'm with you Sven, same deal here.
Stuff from Europe pay for 29%tax on the whole value (item + shipping cost) and 39% if origin is outside Europe.

Like yours, our customs do not believe any "gift" declared ----

Last year it was similar here. You had to pay 19% salestax + ~4-6% importtax for the item INCLUDING the shipping costs ! Since this year ONLY for the item value/price and no longer for the shipping costs due to a new EU-law.

Cu,
Sven

Wow sounds like a scam to me. Didnt relize it was such a PITA for you all to get parts out of the US. I sold an old lightbar on e-bay last year to a guy in Italy. He never mentioned any of the tax stuff. If he actually had to pay the taxes HOLY CHIT BATMAN. It was $350.00 US for the bar and shipping, and it was an old twin sonic with only two rotators. He left + feedback so I guess he didnt care.
$350x.19=$416.50......$416.50x.05=$437.43.

Italy is not Germany ! ! ! I don't know the italian import laws and taxes. Could be that he had to pay nothin', but also could be that he had to pay more or similar to germany.
I don't know.

The European Community is not comparable to the states in the USA.

Cu,
Sven

You can declare it as a gift or birthday present, but the german custom will not belive it and don't have to believe it. I have to bring the proof that it is one. How should I do that ? That's the german laws. Everything coming from OUTSIDE the european union above the value of 20 Euro have to be declared at the customs. Only one exception. If I come from holiday or similar back home to germany, I'm allowed to bring thing with my till ~ 450 Euro, but her also, if the customs think, that these are for trading and not for me personally, I have to pay taxes. Example . More than 3 (same) shirts in different sizes, ore 2-3 i-phones, etc.

Cu,
Sven

Your Sherriff on your truck gets you an attitude with the government guys?

I've been pondering this. I don't recall my fan ever kicking on at low speed. Any time it has kicked in, I know it because I can hear it and it has always been when towing at highway speeds above 55mph.

I'm not sure it kicks on as soon as I would like for it to, but still, it turns on when there is a lot of airflow already.

Hi Mike: your fan clutch is activated by hot air that flows through your rad... that means if the airflow through your rad isn't working, the hot air doesn't reach your fan clutch. When your rad is clean and your shroud fits well, the fan will suck air through it even when stopped (which is one of the reasons that 'lifted' trucks overheat if some serious fab work isn't done on their fan shrouds, btw...).

Mine is spanky-clean (both the rad and coolers AND the bimetal strip on the clutch itself) and will kick in when loaded at even 30 mph. ( I've pulled heavy and slow just to see if it did, and once it kicks in, I can pull all day without overheating, even in high ambients)

If you only hear yours at highway speeds, either your clutch is dirty or needs adjusting, or you have an airflow issue.

Jim

Hi Mike: your fan clutch is activated by hot air that flows through your rad... that means if the airflow through your rad isn't working, the hot air doesn't reach your fan clutch. When your rad is clean and your shroud fits well, the fan will suck air through it even when stopped (which is one of the reasons that 'lifted' trucks overheat if some serious fab work isn't done on their fan shrouds, btw...).

Mine is spanky-clean (both the rad and coolers AND the bimetal strip on the clutch itself) and will kick in when loaded at even 30 mph. ( I've pulled heavy and slow just to see if it did, and once it kicks in, I can pull all day without overheating, even in high ambients)

If you only hear yours at highway speeds, either your clutch is dirty or needs adjusting, or you have an airflow issue.

Jim

Thanks for the little tip on cleaning the fan. Here is photographic evidence! Clean that little fan strip! It will help the fan engage sooner. I still may do the mod, but was on the road and needed a quick fix. This did help.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 86

Jim

Both the condensor and radiator are fairly new. The clutch is from Heath several years ago, but it's always acted the same way. I may look into this modification or might see if I can find my original clutch and do it on that one.

Hi !

So, done the "special" test after replacing the thermostat and repairing the crossover housing and the clutch mod.
Truck, ATV-Rack and travel trailer/caravan all together is about 5,5 tons ~ 12125 lbs and 110 Km/h ~ 68 mph and the temp gauge stayed at 85°C ~ 185°F.

See here for some pics : http://picasaweb.google.com/wiedemann.sven/Harz7#

Cu,
Sven

Did the fan engage at all?

Did the fan engage at all?

NOW, after the mod, I can hear it engaging, but no before. I never heard it before. I thought about thinking a new clutch before, but now, I know, I don't need a new clutch. I didn't needed a new one, I just needed the clutch mod.

BTW :

I don't care about loosing some horspowerand using a bit more fuel, while the fan is engaging earlier, cauz it is much more important for me that this "damned" truck doesen't overheat - what it does anymore now.

Cu,
Sven

Back