• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Disc brake conversion

Chevy3500

Reaction score
I have a 1994 chevy 3500 2wd 8 lug truck. I want to convert the rear drums to disc brakes. What year truck would have the disc brake setup that i need, like a 1996 or somethings

You should have the 13x3.5" brakes on yours. Those are huge! IMO I would not change to disc. To much money for no gain (and maybe a loss) in performance.
Is yours a 4x4 or 2wd?

Put in a set of AC DELCO DURASTOP shoes and you will have some serious rear brakes. GM has a TSB out to improve braking to replace the rear shoes.

I was wanting to replace the drums with disc because, the parking brake always seems to stick, and when its wet outside the brakes grab in the rear, but i think i might try to replace the shoes first, when i replaced the hardware i noticed that the shoes are starting to seperate from the rivits , towards the bottom part of the shoes, i wonder if that would cause the ebrake to stick, i know they need replaced but didnt have time at that time

Chances are being in ohio, your ebarke cables are getting corroded internally causing them to stick. And yes they do grab pretty bad for the first few stops of teh day after they set for awhile.

Ok today i replaced one of my ebrake cables and the rest were in good shape and moved freely, i replaced the brake shoes also and my ebrake does not work. I have adjusted the brakes as far as they will go, the ebrake pedal goes does smooth but i guess its not pushing the shoes out far enough or something

Back