• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Differential Cover Carnage

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I suspect many of have already seen the Banks differential cover series, well my gear guy claims what Banks found through research "flat-back diff covers suck". I have the same cover brand his team milled down for the video.
Gear guy alleges that the flat-back diff cover design led to my pinion bearings and seals going south for lack of lube in about 1.2k miles, I first suspected the pinion housing was installed wrong as in the lube port was not located where it should have been but he had already removed it from the diff.
ANY THOUGHTS?

Lots of miles on aftermarket flat back diff covers without problems out there.

Lots of failures on OEM covers, RAM, due to poor OEM diff fluid and other reasons. I am changing the diff oil at 20K because of this.

The max tow RAM diff cover went from $100 to over $300 when FCA "discovered" how popular it was including Chevy owners buying em. Curved, finned, AL, and no drain plug.

Is the Banks cover better and similar to the OEM RAM Max Tow cover? Yes. The real question is if the flat back cover causes failures. Clearly it would be a plague on the internet if it was the case.

Bank's video has driven demand for OEM covers through the roof from junkyards as people toss perfectly good aftermarket covers.

Did your gear guy build this? If so maybe a conversation with the aftermarket cover maker would shut the warranty ducking down... IMO it's not the cover causing the problem.

As warwagon said, there thousands of trucks that have racked up millions of miles with no failures with these "junk" diff covers after banks video. The ring gear will hold oil and sling it all the way around regardless of the cover. Look st all the 9 inch ford rearends out there made of steel plates with harsh angles and they never have problems. Sounds like he watched the video and has some new "knowledge" to get out of warrantying work.

As warwagon said, there thousands of trucks that have racked up millions of miles with no failures with these "junk" diff covers after banks video. The ring gear will hold oil and sling it all the way around regardless of the cover. Look st all the 9 inch ford rearends out there made of steel plates with harsh angles and they never have problems. Sounds like he watched the video and has some new "knowledge" to get out of warrantying work.
This exactly what I am thinking...

Am not convinced that the flat-back design was the cause of failure in a mere 1,200 miles either. Mine was on the Burb for ~20K miles before I sold the vehicle. Even had the diff re-geared around the 15K mark and there were no signs of lube issues.

That Banks research did help me on the Ferd. I had an original steel cover that truly needed replacement, but Banks was not ready with their Ferd part yet. So I bought a newer OE aluminum cover with fins and had TwistedSteel coat it primarily to keep it from oxidizing and secondarily to help with shedding heat. Saved some money over going Banks even after TwistedSteel's coating and the extra shipping. And were it not for Banks' research, I might have bought another squareback.

Last edited:
I am of the opinion, that the pinion carrier was installed wrong "oil port not lined up in diff case" and he does not want to fix his screw up.

Back up a minute. HE rebuilt it, did HE install that cover (even if you supplied it)? Did HE Ever tell you no warranty if you use that cover? If he installed the part that caused the issue without disclaimer- it is on him no matter what.

If I bring an engine in a truck that has custom oil pan that can actually cause a failure of the engine and the shop installs the aftermarket part, they are liable. This is why so many shops only install parts they supply.

Well, the pan became an issue, when I noticed the problem with the 14 bolt FF diff which he had installed a ring and pinion and major install kit into...a short time ago.

Anyway, I already have a new ring and pinion, waiting on an install kit and spacer washer kit that replaces the crush sleeve. The spacer w/adjustment washers option is a great idea that allows changing out parts on the pinion housing w/o having to go with another crush sleeve.

Back