• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Injector Pop Tester / Nozzle Tester

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
I am planning on building a injector tester. They look easy enough. I will post how I do this with prices and parts that I used.

First thing I did was purchase me a 2 ton hydraulic jack. I picked it up from Tractor Supply for $14.04.
IMG_1183.jpg
I wanted to get one from Home Depot for $10.97 but did not want to wait for two weeks.

Taking the jack apart was easy. I used a 35MM socket with a long breaker bar. I then drained out all the oil and apart it came.
IMG_1184.jpg

I also found a injector tester on ebay for $119.50 with free shipping. It should be here sometime next week. I will use it for comparison, compared to the one I will build. Pictures will be here soon.

Don't forget to plug the little hole near the top of the cyl.

All eyes and ears! I done it a long time ago, hoping I remember all of it. Always good to learn from others.

My $119.50 injector tester showed up today.
IMG_1187.jpg
They boxed it up so well I will keep it to store the pop tester in.
IMG_1188.jpg
Here it is all unboxed. I like the big gauge, makes it easier to see. This unit is heavy and seems well built.
IMG_1189.jpg
Here is a close up of the gauge. It does not seem to be a liquid filled gauge.
IMG_1190.jpg
This unit comes with two connectors. One works well for the 6.5 injector. Here is a injector connected to it.
IMG_1191.jpg
I will try to go out today and get some Diesel in a jug so I can see how well it works.
A video will follow.

Hopefully sometime this week I can go out and purchase some more stuff to build my own pop tester.

I didn't see a pressure release valve on yours or the link you shared Marty - does it have one or not needed?

I didn't see a pressure release valve on yours or the link you shared Marty - does it have one or not needed?

I have no idea, have not messed with it except take pictures. I have been busy and focusing all my time on my camper rebuild.

I have not touched this. It is not forgotten, I am just focusing all my attention and money on the camper rebuild.

These are mildly dangerous. I use mine outdoors with a small fan...
Indoors atomized fuel is an explosion hazard on par with an LP or NG leak.
Breathing it is very very bad.
Never ever get any part of you in the spray. You'll have to get it amputated.
I put the injector nozzle in a glass jar for spray testing.

Y'all prolly know all this but for any lurkers...

Be alert. The world needs more Alerts. :D

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Dude, it takes serious heat to fire diesel, spraying into the air won't do crap, but agreed, don't breath it or get your body parts near the injector opening.

Dude, it takes serious heat to fire diesel, spraying into the air won't do crap, but agreed, don't breath it or get your body parts near the injector opening.

Compression ignition temp and atmospheric ignition temp are very different. As are liquid and finely atomized ignition temps... atomized diesel atmospheric ignition temp is 400 degrees C. LP and Natural Gas are actually more like 450 degrees C.
Atomized at atmospheric pressure... diesel should burn from as little as a match flame or small static discharge just like LP gas. Try it somewhere safe.
Matches burn at 600 to 800 degrees C. Candles are typically 700-1400 degrees C. Either are more than enough to light a small atomized diesel fuel cloud.
A 0.2 millijoule static discharge can light a gaseous hydrocarbon fuel. The typical static discharge from a human body, that zap you get touching the cat, is of the order of 500 milljoules.

Burning the hair off your face isn't anywhere near as funny as the kiddie cartoons. :D

Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.

Actually you are right, shortly after I posted, I found a video of a guy demonstrating this and holy shit, lol.

Any Updates.....the wait is agonizing....

Actually I'm in the process of building one also, and came across this post looking for Injector line compatibility and thread size.

Anybody know if all Chevy diesel injectors use the same size nut, on the injector side?...would narrow down looking for 1 used injector line.

I was following building one from

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum...334-how-build-diesel-injector-pop-tester.html

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/threads/10035-Diy-pop-tester

Got some Teds Injectors I want to test out...since I had a bad one already.

Actually I'm in the process of building one also, and came across this post looking for Injector line compatibility and thread size.

Anybody know if all Chevy diesel injectors use the same size nut, on the injector side?...would narrow down looking for 1 used injector line.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum...334-how-build-diesel-injector-pop-tester.html

I have not, Been putting 100% of my time, money, and labor into my truck camper.

Soon, I hope! :thumbsup:

I built a hydraulic bottle jack pop tester. Works great...

The GM Detroit AMG 6.xL engines use Bosch injectors similar to the 1.5-1.9L VW IDI Diesels and some Mercedes Diesel engines.

Most of the Olds V8 diesels used Lucas poppet injectors.

Get a used injector feed line for your engine.

From orbit on my Android.

Back