• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diamond Eye Exhaust

Crankme69

Reaction score
Holy chit batman that sucker is BIG & looks to be very well made :thumbsup:

My new 4" exhaust from TVDiesel showed up this week, hoping to install it this weekend along with my new warpspeed crossover.

Comparing the tail pipe too the existing 2.75 that is on there now was just let's say WOW!

I was really hoping to get my Sunpro gauges hooked up to verify before & after EGT's but thay may not happen in that order... :nonod:

The pipes do look massive when you take them out of the box.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Once they are on the truck they don't look quite so big. The warpspeed crossover is very big compared to the factory pos:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Wait till you see just how bad the factory downpipe is:confused::eek::mad2:. Be shure to take lots of pics. Show and tell ya know:thumbsup:):h:rolleyes5:

BIG is an understatement!!

I held off on installing my 4" Diamond Eye until I could finish my EGT gauge install. The 4" exhaust made over a 100* F EGT difference at 70 MPH. I only had a couple days to test my new EGT gauge before the exhaust install, so my readings may not be real accurate. Also, I have a turbomaster put on by the PO to my PO which may make readings different from a 6.5 with stock vacuum wastegate.

Another big difference I noticed was in spool down time after pulling my foot off the go pedal. Previously, at 70 MPH, the tach would show the RPMs dropped like a rock when releasing the go pedal (back pressure slowed the motor down FAST). After the new exhaust and under the same situation, the motor slowed down much slower.

My install went good. Removing the right side fender liner made a big difference accessing the turbo end of the downpipe. Access was so much better that I decided to order new glow plugs, wait a day for them arrive, and replace them while I had the liner out. I have an extended cab and had enough pipe that I could of put it together without the muffler if I had chosen to. The only thing I had to deal with was the welded on rod part of the clamp that was inserted into the stock rubber mounts didn't always set at the height that I wanted them to. I have a hot wrench so I just modified them to suit my wants. To remove the old stuff I used my sawzall to make one cut a couple inches behind the cat and then snaked it out. I also took the time to paint the new pipes with high temp bar-b-que black paint. It may not be neccessary, but that's just me.

The new system is louder than I had anticipated, but not objectionably so. I did immediately feel a difference with my butt dyno. I just filled my fuel tank and did notice a slight increase in MPG. The biggest problem at this point is that I am having a hard time keeping my foot off the floor. Love that power feel!!

Don

Barry, you are fast at typing. When I started hunt-n-peck typing my reply there were no other posts. But what you said is the same thing i noticed.

Don

I hunt and peck also. No time to do the typing coarse that I have on cd.

So looks lke we're gonna have to do another exhaust sound compare at the next GTG Greg.):h

Looks like stovepipe! I also painted mine with BBQ paint, and even plowing in the salty crap it still looks as fresh as the day I painted it. All the hangers are rusted shit though.

install

I had thought about painting it with some high temp...

Mike yes for sure another GTG I agree!

Installation plans...hoping that if I drove it up on my ramps & then jack up the rear on stands that I would not have to pull the inner fender? I have not done this before...can I get at the down pipe clamp if I get her up in the air? Maybe I should consider the local muffler shop & pay to have it installed :confused:

Can't wait to see some pics when you get in on the truck. That is going to look sweet on your truck compared to the 2.75" stock set up you have.

Yeah, I removed my downpipe clamp from the engine bay. It was fairly easy... but if your clamp is pretty rusted it may break. I liked when my truck had the 4" diamond eye exhaust, now the only thing left of it is the downpipe and about 3' of the straight section lol, then it goes to my stacks :D.

I can't tell you how much of a difference it made because I was running open downpipe probably 2 or 3 weeks after I bought my truck.

Just remove the inner fender. There are a whole bunch of things that become easy once its removed. Do yourself a favor and get that thing out of the way. Once you realize how easy it comes out it'll save you a ton of time overall on this job, and on many many others.

That very well may happen Matt, but that will for sure force me to change the injectors & GP's can't be that close without doing it. I thinks my Injectors & Gp's are OEM.

I'll take a look see this weekend...

I'll give ya all a shout after...thanks for the suggestions!

That very well may happen Matt, but that will for sure force me to change the injectors & GP's can't be that close without doing it. I thinks my Injectors & Gp's are OEM.

I'll take a look see this weekend...

I'll give ya all a shout after...thanks for the suggestions!

The first time getting it off takes a little extra time. Use a air ratchet. About 10 13mm bolts, and one in the air cleaner bottom. Once you figure it out and its been 'broke free' once, it literally takes no more than 10 minutes to take it off, and that includes jacking up the truck and taking the tire off.

While in there you can do all sorts of housekeeping.

Maybe take it off some day when you have an hour or 2 to mess around, that way when it comes time to do your exhaust or other project you can remove it in 10 minutes.

It just makes life SO MUCH easier. As always get a few cans of rustoleum black to spray bomb whatever needs it when its off.

The hardest part about taking it off is the thought of it. Its no more difficult than removing the upper fan shroud.

The first time taking off the inner liner the bolts can be slow and stiff to take out. I used neversieze on the bolts when I put it back in to make it much easier next time. The second time came much quicker than I expected and it was so much faster the second time. It's going to come out a third time real soon as soon as my new injectors get here.

Don

The first time taking off the inner liner the bolts can be slow and stiff to take out. I used neversieze on the bolts when I put it back in to make it much easier next time. The second time came much quicker than I expected and it was so much faster the second time. It's going to come out a third time real soon as soon as my new injectors get here.

Don

Same here. That is why I recommend people remove the fender as its own 'little project' on another day before the other projects. That way its a simple 10 minute job to remove it the next time.

Starter replacement
Injectors
Glows
Ground Straps (while your in here)
Downpipe
Turbo
Manifold

All those jobs I start by removing the inner liner.

Its also good to get the crud away from the radiator supports so it doesn't hold moisture and cause rot.

Have a couple cans of black spray bomb on hand to clean things up in there before re-install!

Back