• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diablo Predator - changed tire size...now dead in the water will not crank

Yeah, I think I've gone from bad to worse. Ended up going to a closer dealer (friggin geico roadside) and they charged me the full $101 and some change to tell me I have a really expensive paper weight for a ecm. New ecm is over $800.00 at the stealer. I called Diablosport and Mike said he was certain they could reflash my ecm but I would need to send them the ecm and my tuner. And it will cost $129.00 for their service plus whatever shipping I choose. What are y'alls thoughts on 1. if the dealer couldn't even see the ecm can Diablosport really reflash it or will I just be wasting my money for them to attempt it? 2. Now that I'm this far into it should I look for a used ECM or is that even a possibility? The tech at the dealer did a really good job from what I saw - because I hauled it their myself (FRIGGIN GEICO ROADSIDE...AGAIN)and it was sitting on my equipment trailer I got to watch him do everything. He showed me how he verified the port was good by connecting to the other modules. He checked all the fuses. Disconnected the batteries and shorted them the proper way.
Thanks again guys...now back to my old 6.5 to see whats wrong with it...I gotta have some wheels!

BTW; my d-max on a 14k rated equipment trailer was quite the load on my wifes 01 z71 lol Thank God I left the brake controller installed on her truck!

It's possible the EFILive will flash and the Tech 2 won't. I've heard of a few instances where it has been sucessful. I think for the fastest way to get you out of your trouble is to find a used ECM and have that dealer flash it to your truck. No waiting for yours to come back and then you'll have a spare (if you current one can be recovered).

car-part.com is a good place to look for one.

Just find a used LBZ ECM from a truck and do a theft learn. A van ECM will work, but it MUST be flashed prior to trying to start it.

What exactly is a theft learn? Would my tuner still have to be sent back due to the failed load of my original backup? I just thought of something...diablosport gave me an RMA number...wouldn't that indicate there would be no cost to me (other than shipping)? They never actually mentioned cost...I just saw it on their website...disregard that last part - did a little more reading and it looks like there is a $99.00 fee regardless if it's under warranty or not.

All GM's since 97 have used the theft system, and require a theft learn when you change ECM's(not hard to do, just takes time). Then you could send your ECM to diablo and have them unlock it and then send your tuner and ECM back and plug it back in then sell the spare ECM.

Well, after Mike convinced me he was certain they could fix my ECM, I mailed them my ECM and predator...they received it around lunch today....now the wait game. They should be able to tell me something by tomorrow.

This is definitely one of those "oh shoot!!" times in my life that I'll not soon forget and will NEVER repeat.

Well, after Mike convinced me he was certain they could fix my ECM, I mailed them my ECM and predator...they received it around lunch today....now the wait game. They should be able to tell me something by tomorrow.

This is definitely one of those "oh shoot!!" times in my life that I'll not soon forget and will NEVER repeat.

I'm sure they'll force the code in on the bench. Are they going to overnight it back for you?

Very sorry to hear about this bud. I was flashing ours and tried to bail halfway and it wouldn't start, I had to reset to factory and it worked, then re-tuned.

I'm sure they'll force the code in on the bench. Are they going to overnight it back for you?
They didn't say...I mean, I don't know if they're paying for it but I'll probably pay the $80.00 to ship it back overnight....at this point, the two Benjamins for repair and shipping is chump change compared to new ECM and reflash at the stealer.

Very sorry to hear about this bud. I was flashing ours and tried to bail halfway and it wouldn't start, I had to reset to factory and it worked, then re-tuned.
Yeah, it was just a bad day all around for me...everything that could go wrong did. I don't know if I mentioned it earlier in this thread but, not only was my truck running (and I still don't know at what point I inadvertently told it to load the tune but, my son was also connecting the trailer brakes/lights (the plug fits very tight and you have to wiggle it around to get the plug in) doing all this while I'm standing on the brakes...you know how many amps a brake controller draws?? He told me later he could hear the connections popping while he was plugging it in...I bet the ECM don't like that going on while attempting to write a tune. lol

I will never again even connect my tuner if I'm in a hurry.

Well my edge evo has died. Guess I get to go efi live! lol.

Glad mine didnt take the ECM. It needs reset everytime I restart the truck and it takes FOREVER. I can reload it and change tunes but afterwards I just unplug it and use it as a hand held for now.

here is a pic of my dmax sitting on my equipment trailer, connected to my wifes z71 notice I had to remove the two fronts custom wheels and tires to fit between the fenders. I just noticed her truck needs a bath...it's actually a very good looking truck. Oh yeah, one other tip don't ever think you can winch up a 7k # truck over a dovetail with a big come-along...it can be done, but it will kill you or make a man out of you real quick. Thank God for my best friend who just showed up with a portable electric wench to assist...it would not pull it by itself but it sure helped.

Z71 towing DMAX.jpg

YESSIR! :)

Mike emailed me late yesterday to say they were successful at reloading the backup file from my tuner to my ECM. They shipped it overnight and it will be here by 2:30 today. yea!!!

Awesome!

Figured they would get it all recovered and restored. :)

ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

I've gotta give huge kudos to Diablosport. I don't prefer the method (forum only...for the most part) for customer service and support they use... and if you read thru their forums you can sense the frustration level sometimes in their customers. I'm here to tell you, when the rubber meets the road, these guys deliver! I bought my tuner from Nick (Unit 453) - in July of 2010 and he had for awhile I believe so, needless to say it was in no way under any kind of warranty...not to mention the warranty is voided if you are not the original owner and/or have the original receipt...and they made this very clear to me initially and would not give me an RMA without my credit card number. The packing slip in the box had $000.00 and "N/C, Warranty" stamped on it...didn't even charge me to for overnight shipping.

I'm one happy customer.

Maybe they read this thread and realized you were a stand up individual, fessing up and was willing to 'face the music'.. :thumbsup:

You get my vote for, what NOT to do with a tuner..lol.

Glad to see you got it up and running.

I'm also running a Diablo on my 5.7 and it did make a HUGE difference. I love the tune and all its functions.

Back