• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diablo Predator - changed tire size...now dead in the water will not crank

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
got an error that the tune didn't load after modifying the tune for the new tire size. Tuner automatically went to "restore original backup" after giving a "tuned failed to load" error... tried to restore original backup - got error "Error unlock for reflash (-1) I'm totally dead in the water - starter will not even spin....the sad part is I had just hooked up to my big equipment trailer to go tow my old 6.5 home....think her IP has finally bit the bullet.

When it rains it pours!

...it fact it was raining too.

help!

Last edited by a moderator:
...might be my skyrocketing blood pressure causing my spelling errors as I sit on friggin hold with Diablo Sport....40 minutes now. I have a major wiring job tomorrow and no truck...this sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Disconnect the batteries for 20 minutes and retry the flash. The LBZ ECM is pretty resiliant and rarely bricks, but it does sometimes lock-up and require a reset.

Batteries are disconnected will reconnect and try in about 15. Yes I checked their forums while I sat on hold. Not much on the forums except it appears at least one person had to send them their ecm and tuner to resolve.

I'll keep you posted - thanks for the responses btw.

Smitty

You're probably need someone with EFILive or a Tech 2 to recover it. Usually they can be recovered like Ferm said.

That sucks. Everytime I take my truck into a shop for body or bumper work they unhook everything and it takes awhile for my edge to reconect and once it took a reflash of the edge but never had the truck ecm go under.

In hind sight, I may have attempted to load the tune while the truck was running. I was backing up to my big trailer watching my 14 year old son guide me back, had the tuner in my hand and was updating the tune, thinking as soon as I hooked the trailer up, I would shut the truck off and install the tune with the changes to the tire size. My 19 year old son (one that was driving my old 6.5) called me while all this was going on, next thing I know I look down at the tool and it is displaying a message that says "unable to load tune" ...I thought "oh crap, the truck is running" shut the truck off and that's where it sits...still hooked to my equipment trailer next to my barn.

Talked to Mike a diablosport - said I have to get the ecm reflashed (I think that was the term he used) at a dealer or I can send it to them, and then he can talk me through re-loading the original backup. No matter what I do, looks like I'm dead in the water for several days...that sucks.

On a positive note, any of us that wondered what would happen if you had the unit plugged in with the truck running now have our answer.
Sucks that you got to be the guinea pig though.

On a positive note, any of us that wondered what would happen if you had the unit plugged in with the truck running now have our answer.
Sucks that you got to be the guinea pig though.

That is the bright side lol and I have always wondered...I can tell you this, it won't happen again.

Any of you know if the dealer charges to reflash the ecm? Mike acted like it was free or minimal charge but told me whatever I do, do NOT let the dealer sell me a new ECM and to call him from the dealer if they do.

Most will charge you a flat rate hour which is around $100 by me. I know it would cost me $125 to add a VIN license onto my V2 cable, and theres still no guarantee it would license and program it.

Most will charge you a flat rate hour which is around $100 by me. I know it would cost me $125 to add a VIN license onto my V2 cable, and theres still no guarantee it would license and program it.

You are correct. Called the dealer I normally use about an hour from me...they said $100.00. I talked to the Service manager and he remembered me as the guy that was very patient after the third or forth trip to them to fix the same leaky axle seal...said he would do it for $43.50.

Here is my question; he thinks they'll need the truck and is waiting on his tech that gets in at 8:30 to verify. Mike at diablosport said I could just take the ECM to them. You guys have any knowledge on this? Can they reflash with a tech2 connected straight to the ecm?

I believe all flashes are now done with the vehicle. I'm pretty sure GM released a bulletin here awhile back stating no more stand alone flashes will be performed as the new software checks the VIN in all modules before it will flash any. It's not like teh old days where you could hook up the TECH 2 and load a flash in and then go flash the truck, they now are all done through the GM TIS 2 website live over the internet and GM keeps track of every flash done now(part of there CVN tracking to see if a vehicle has been modified for warranty purposes).

Yeah, I think I've gone from bad to worse. Ended up going to a closer dealer (friggin geico roadside) and they charged me the full $101 and some change to tell me I have a really expensive paper weight for a ecm. New ecm is over $800.00 at the stealer. I called Diablosport and Mike said he was certain they could reflash my ecm but I would need to send them the ecm and my tuner. And it will cost $129.00 for their service plus whatever shipping I choose. What are y'alls thoughts on 1. if the dealer couldn't even see the ecm can Diablosport really reflash it or will I just be wasting my money for them to attempt it? 2. Now that I'm this far into it should I look for a used ECM or is that even a possibility? The tech at the dealer did a really good job from what I saw - because I hauled it their myself (FRIGGIN GEICO ROADSIDE...AGAIN)and it was sitting on my equipment trailer I got to watch him do everything. He showed me how he verified the port was good by connecting to the other modules. He checked all the fuses. Disconnected the batteries and shorted them the proper way.
Thanks again guys...now back to my old 6.5 to see whats wrong with it...I gotta have some wheels!

BTW; my d-max on a 14k rated equipment trailer was quite the load on my wifes 01 z71 lol Thank God I left the brake controller installed on her truck!

Back