• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Despite what you guys think i'm not dead yet.

Canadian Rigger

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi ya'll long time no posty... hehe. Been a rough go for me lately.

Anyhow, i have a question that may already be answered.

Today i fired up the 96 GMC after already driving for 2 hours. It started woofing out the intake (air filter) real bad, engine didn't shake at all, i shut it down and re-fired it 3 times, woofing went away on the last start, anyone got any ideas. Seemed to me like a valve got stuck or a piece of garbage got in it and blew itself clear, drove for another 2 hrs without incident? Any ideas?

Russell!! Nice to hear from ya!!

Let me get this straight... your truck was giving a blow job and you want to make it stop?):h

(sorry... couldn't help myself)

Did it do this strange woofing while running, or on a re-start? Either way, sounds like valve. Piece of stuff would be good thought, or a valve with some issues... buttons wouldn't make it stay open, unless it jumped up on the pushrod (had a 327 that did that once) but they don't usually fix themselves.

Did it when i started it while running. Kinda sounded like a vacuum pump but 100 times louder, pulled the filter cover and it got way louder, like it was pushing air out the intake. Figured i was toast till it quit on about the 3rd start.

Hiya Russ!! Could be a valve train plastic button is messing with a valve opening causing the woofing.

i was leaning towards piece of crap....... mostly cause i don't want to here plastic button stuff right now.

That's about all it could be, unless you have an "S" intake with the exhaust gasket ports plugged with those lil aluminium tabs - whuffing is either compression stroke or exhaust stroke.......................

Today i fired up the 96 GMC after already driving for 2 hours. It started woofing out the intake (air filter) real bad, engine didn't shake at all, i shut it down and re-fired it 3 times, woofing went away on the last start, anyone got any ideas. Seemed to me like a valve got stuck or a piece of garbage got in it and blew itself clear, drove for another 2 hrs without incident? Any ideas?

Intake valve sticking slightly open, did you hear a popping noise with it as well. Like an air compressor intake? pop pop pop pop,? In cold weather at least here, the gunk on the intake valves gets thick and it migrates into the valve guides, then it gets like sludge and the valves will stick when cold or cooler, try some atf sprayed in the intake when hot running then shut it down and let it sit for a few hours. Careful on the atf you don't want a run away engine.

Has the truck been sitting, or have you been daily driving it?

Daily driver, truck rarely sits more then a day and yes it was more of a popping sound but it went away after i started it the 3rd time. It wasn't cold at all, had just driven over 2 hrs, boosted the Cummins truck and was only shut off about 30 min's when it was started again.

Original gutted "S" intake with EGR but that sucker has a block off plate under it from day 1.:D
I'll stick with a POS under a valve that cleared itself for now...

Heath Flash, GM-8, stacks. (over 100 MPH before the converter locks!)

What glows you got in it, hopefully you didn't lunch a piece of one of those 9gs that GM started with. Yo Russ how about a sig update, your block off plate under EGR valve, when I ran that way I had a mystery gasket rot away, maybe some thing to check if you haven't replaced it in a while,

I'm sure i changed the glows when i purchased it, just don't recall what i put in it. If it were the mystery gasket i wouldn't have thought it would have corrected itself but i have yet to start it today, if a glow is down i'll know for sure.

I'll try to update the sig sometime later today.

Well i fired it up from cold, woofing or popping is there, getting more pronounced as it warms up, hasn't gone away on several restarts now. Damn thing is running smooth too, now i'm peeved...

Now is probably your chance to find the problem with the head and fix it before it does more damage...

I had a valve let go and damaged the piston slightly about a month and half ago... right at 120k miles. Not sure how many you have on yours as you have no sig.

Back