• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Desperate! Cranks but dies immediately. Run in limp mode.

Scanner

Any good suggestions were I could get one? Would I be better off looking into software and computer link?

I disconnected the batteries and double checked the ground from frame to cab and the ground from engine to cab. Cleaned again even though they were spotless.

Cranked her up, she purred. I shut her down and cranked again, and again. She ran each time. Took her for a spin and let her get good and hot. Brought her home and shut her down. Tried to crank her, she fires and dies. Checked the codes...no 19. First time she had ran and not threw a CPS code in months. Maybe she finally did a relearn. Wife said there was some white smoke when I first cranked her up. I didn't see it from the cab.

Last edited:
Latest update:
Replaced PMD. Moved it out of the engine compartment to the bumper. No noticeable difference.

Changed optic sensor. Seems to crank all the time. It does not crank and die as before. I tried to adjust the optic sensor to help with some white smoke when it cranks and hard starts. Some times it doesn't start easy. Sometimes she fires up first time. Still runs great after it is running.
I am considering changing the Injectors. I suspect problems with the filter could have caused damage to the injectors. This may be causing the harder starts and white smoke when she cranks.

PMD might already have been damaged from old location....."New" PMD is the only way to know for sure......Or a borrowed (Swap) from a good running truck w/ no stalling issues.

Latest update:
Replaced PMD. Moved it out of the engine compartment to the bumper. No noticeable difference.

Changed optic sensor. Seems to crank all the time. It does not crank and die as before. I tried to adjust the optic sensor to help with some white smoke when it cranks and hard starts. Some times it doesn't start easy. Sometimes she fires up first time. Still runs great after it is running.
I am considering changing the Injectors. I suspect problems with the filter could have caused damage to the injectors. This may be causing the harder starts and white smoke when she cranks.

Have you tried some GOOD diesel additive first?

Are you able to watch this thing with a scanner? Also, I agree treating the fuel may be the key as well.

Back