• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Desperate! Cranks but dies immediately. Run in limp mode.

KeepHerRolling

Reaction score
I bought the truck a little over a year ago off of ebay. (Mistake #1) Heading home from the owner/DEALER the service engine light came on. The truck was not as described to say the least. After getting it out on the highway the Service engine light came on and it seemed to stumble every once in a while.

When doing the “paper clip test” it gave code 78 turbo wastegate. I replaced the wastegate solenoid and all vacuum lines. I tried to use it to take the family and the boat to the river and it ended up dying mid trip. I let it cool, it would crank. I drove it back home as soon as I could. I cleaned grounds and replaced where necessary.

I purchased “remote mount FSD with heat sync” from SS Diesel that mounts on the intake. (Mistake #2) The wires would not reach the remote mount as indicated and three had to be extended to mount. This seemed to fix the dying but not all of the stumbling. I checked the lift pump. Replaced the lift pump and OPS. The ops was not functioning. It took three tries at AutoZone before buying one at Advance that worked. Later, I intermittently had SEL come on indicating EGR circuit fault. Had problems with another vacuum solenoid. I kept having trouble with the SES light. All three solenoids seemed to work fine. I would remove the vacuum line at the map sensor and vacuum was fine.

I eventually checked the vacuum by removing the line from the EGR valve. I was loosing vacuum through the map sensor mounted on the firewall. I replaced the map sensor and eventually had to replace the third solenoid. It seemed I had finally taken care of most of the problems that the truck had when I bought it over a year ago. I introduced bio to the truck and drove it around town for about 3 weeks. I slowly worked it up to b50 and all was fine.

It seemed to finally be a dependable truck with no issues and ran great off of the b50. This led me up to about 2 weeks ago when we decided to take the truck for a camping trip instead of the suburban. We took the 1.5 hour trip to are camping destination pulling a boat. The truck handled the trip great with no service engine light.

It was the first time in almost a year since buying the truck that no check engine lights came on for such a long drive. I apparently knocked on the wrong type of wood after bragging about it to my wife. After taking my son to the doctor to get a fishing hook removed from his eyebrow, the truck would not start. It would crank up and run but die immediately.

It seemed like a fuel issue. After having to tow my truck back to the campground I replaced fuel filter, fuel lines from filter to IP, and lines for filter housing down to the steel fuel lines. The truck cranked and ran idling for about 20 minutes.

All seemed well. I decided to drive it around the campground to the bath house to clean up. It died. I could crank it up and it would run sometimes. When it cranked if you depressed the accelerator it would die.

Most of the time it would crank and die immediately. I did the paperclip test and found code 19, Crank position sensor and a couple of cylinder imbalance codes I think it was 91 and 98. I could not remove the Crank position sensor in the campground and had to haul the truck and boat back home.

The flange on the CPS broke off and the wires eventually pulled out. I tried running screws of different lengths into the wire hole and pulling it out. Pieces of it would come out but not the sensor. I ended up removing the alternator and power steering pump,drilling into it, tapping it, inserting a bolt, and with and unbelievable amount of force pulling it out. The end of the CPS was busted by the time I got it out.

It did not appear as though the drill and/or the bolt went all the way through the CPS. It was very close to the end of it though. I replaced the CPS with one from AZ. I disconnected the batteries to clear the codes in the ecm. I checked the codes to make sure they had cleared and got code 12.

After cranking I got the same results as before, code 19 and it would start but not run. If it started it would idle but die when trying to accelerate. I tried to crank it without the CPS plugged in and it cranked and ran fine in the limp mode. I checked fuel pressure from T-handle with a pressure gauge. It stayed at 8-10 psi while running.

I cracked fuel injectors to see if oozing fuel. All seemed fine. I checked fuel coming from filter at the inlet line at the top of the IP. It came out fine. I tried another CPS thinking I had got another bad part, same results. I tried a third CPS from advance, same results. It would crank sometimes and idle fine.

If you depressed the accelerator it would die. Most of the time it would crank and die immediately. When I unhooked the CPS it would crank eventually and run fine in limp mode. I have drained all fuel from tank, lines, and filter housing and put diesel(no bio), 2cycle engine oil and additive into it. Removed all air from lines and filter housing. I cracked the injectors again, no fuel.

I tried checking the fuel shut off valve to see if it was clicking. I checked the voltage across the plug going to fuel shut off valve. When the key was on, it was only 0.8 volts. I tried to check to see if the valve was functioning properly by hooking up a 12 volt source to it, it seemed to click fine. I removed the optic sensor filter. There was no fuel or voltage to the fuel shutoff solenoid. I cleaned all grounds again and tried looking for any trouble with wires. I had checked the fuse box previously.

I checked it again and the fuse for the fuel solenoid was shot. It had to of shot after replacing the fuel. I don’t know if the fuse blowing is related to the situation or not. Now the truck cranks and dies again. If I remove the CPS wires it cranks eventually and runs fine in limp mode. I tried removing the wires to the optic sensor and replaced the CPS wires. It still cranks and runs fine in limp mode. What would allow the vehicle to run in limp mode and not run if both sensors are hooked up.

I had the vin checked and it shows the IP replaced at 96,000 miles. She has 123,000 on her now. I have unplugged the remote mount FSD/PMD and plugged it back into the original on the IP. She does the exact same thing.

I would think that it would react differently if the PMD was bad. The old PMD still worked but cut out when it got hot. Could it be problems with wires to the PMD? I do have a 12V potential difference to the pink that also feeds the Fuel shut off solenoid. Any other way to test these? IP? I hope not. I need help finding the problem because I can't afford the shotgun approach in replacing parts.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

TD edit, paragraphs are your/our friends, breaks between thoughts are most appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a similar experience also.

1. Dealt with stalling, became horribly bad, Searched internet, made same mistake buying SSDIESELs intake mounted heatsync. All was well for 4 months.

2. 4 months later Stalling creeped in again. I assumed PMD was good, and went dancing around everypart of the truck. In this second stalling wave, SSDIESEL had me buy new IP harness, which is under intake, and somethign else, i forget now. Then I found this group of guys and started to question the Engine bay mounted PMD. I buit the bullet and bought Heath's Isolator. No stall since in 2 years. (5 years left on my warranty).

Seems you can't summarize what will happen if PMD goes bad. They just do weird things, sometimes they sound familiar, sometimes they don't.

Just speaking from experience you can't use 2 fried PMD's to check off as good on your list. Look at it this way, if it's NOT your PMD, then it will be very shortly as that is such a poor design. He just has the best adds in on google and stuff, and takes advantage of making a buck. And it works, just for how long... 4 months? a year? if your lucky.

Btw just caught your sig, saying will move it to bumper... You can't ressurect it :)

Last edited:
Are you getting 12 volts to the shut off solenoid now after replacing the fuse?

You might want to pull the intake off and carefully check the wiring harness that plugs into the CPS. It may have a broken wire giving an intermittent connection.

Similar issues have been traced to a partially sheared IP gear key as well.....

I have had a similar experience also.

1. Dealt with stalling, became horribly bad, Searched internet, made same mistake buying SSDIESELs intake mounted heatsync. All was well for 4 months.

2. 4 months later Stalling creeped in again. I assumed PMD was good, and went dancing around everypart of the truck. In this second stalling wave, SSDIESEL had me buy new IP harness, which is under intake, and somethign else, i forget now. Then I found this group of guys and started to question the Engine bay mounted PMD. I buit the bullet and bought Heath's Isolator. No stall since in 2 years. (5 years left on my warranty).

Seems you can't summarize what will happen if PMD goes bad. They just do weird things, sometimes they sound familiar, sometimes they don't.

Just speaking from experience you can't use 2 fried PMD's to check off as good on your list. Look at it this way, if it's NOT your PMD, then it will be very shortly as that is such a poor design. He just has the best adds in on google and stuff, and takes advantage of making a buck. And it works, just for how long... 4 months? a year? if your lucky.

Btw just caught your sig, saying will move it to bumper... You can't ressurect it :)

That is assuming it is not the problem. My brother has a 99 suburban. I wonder if I could test it on his truck and see if it works.

You might want to pull the intake off and carefully check the wiring harness that plugs into the CPS. It may have a broken wire giving an intermittent connection.

I am getting 12 volts to the Shutoff solenoid and to the pink wire on the PMD. It feels like the shutoff solenoid is functioning properly. I am not sure what would have caused the problem other than all the times I have tried to crank it. I noticed a place on the wiring harness on the passenger side next to the cab where the wires had apparently got against the Turbo causing it to melt the outside plastic cover. Someone used a zip tie to pull it up and away from it. It looks like I would have noticed this before now as much as I have been under the hood. One of the nuts that is supposed to hold the harness up is missing. I will check there for damaged wires when time permits. I can't help but wonder if the blown fuse for the shutoff solenoid and the CPS code is related.

Last edited:
I also made the mistake of getting Walt's FSD kit. I drove the truck for almost one year with no issues. Then one day, at the same time of day, in the same place on the road, it just shut off and would not start. I did not hesitate to replace the FSD in this case, but under the circumstances, I felt it was the thing to do. It was like voo doo. Anyway it now has a bumper nostril FSD and I have my confidence back. Of course I had to replace the head gaskets a few weeks ago, but that's another story. My $.02 -- Good luck.

"K2500 with FSD heat sync still on intake. Will move to bumper if I get her rolling."

May be you need to move it to the bumper TO GET IT ROLLING!!! with a new one of course.

Is your ground on the heatsink, if so, move it back to the pump.
That is the other mistake those intake FSD are suggested.

I agree that you need to bite the bullet and get Heath's kit and install it just to remove that as an issue, then move on from there. Starting and immediately dying is a common symptom of a fried FSD. It sounds like you need a new one anyway, based on a lot of the symptoms. Buying a kit and putting it on the hot intake is not going to make an iffy FSD better.

If you can't afford Heath kit, buy Kennedy's 72" harness and a NEW FSD and relo to bumper using SS Diesel heat sync. Just be sure to torque the screws properly, use heat transfer compound, and seal everything with RTV (UV stable) before moving it. Wait. Just get Heath's kit.

Rob :)

Last edited:
First of all : I have nothing against Heath Diesel. Infact, in my dealing with them I am a very satisfied customer.
Then again : KeepHerRolling might need a new FSD, OK - Most likely needs a new FSD.
Now, you may not believe this but some of us don't have and extra $350 laying around.
For about $200 and some wire he can move the SS FSD heatsink to the bumper, put a new FSD on it and is good to go.

Personally, I would buy a new FSD - Or better yet borrow a known good one - and put it right there on the heatsink where it sits. If the truck starts and runs then he knows his FSD is toast and also knows that it needs to be moved.
If it runs with the replaced FSD there's no need to get everything HOT since the problem is solved. Move the heatsink, extend the wires, keep the $350 in your pocket.

That being said : If KeepHerRunning has $350 extra laying around (some do - I sure don't), then, just for the unbeatable warrantee and the piece of mind it gives, get the Heath.
The Heath relocation kit makes it easy - No doubt. Heck, it's even easier to take the truck to your local Chevy/GMC dealer if you have a bunch of extra $$$ laying about. Hey - They'll probably even get the truck running. When you get it home take the new PMD off of the new IP and move it out of the engine compartment to where it belongs.

I did move SS diesel's heat sink to the bumper nostril with a new FSD. Every now and then I reach in and feel the FSD, and it is always cool to the touch, so I know it works OK. Anyway, I believe you can purchase a new FSD for around 200.00 bucks, providing of course, this is the problem. Test it with a known good FSD first. Shop for an ext harness. I found for one 70.00 bucks and it works fine.

I am father of 4 kids that are 8 and under. I am also a teacher that just finished the "Summer Break" in which I receive no pay. I do not have $350 to drop on a new PMD. My brother has a 99 Suburban. I may try and check my PMD by hooking it up to his truck. He lives about 45 minutes away. I won't be able to do this very soon. Is there anyway to easily check the other wires to the PMD. I know I should have 12volts to the pink wire on the PMD. This is the same feed that powers the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Last edited:
I do not have $350 to drop on a new PMD.

Actually, a PMD should cost about $200 - The Heath is $550 - Thus the extra $350.

You're on the right track... See if your bro can drop by and try yours on his or his on yours. That will at least let you know if the PMD is actually the problem.
Good luck!

Plus the extension cable around $50. Use your existing Heatsink, make sure to put a heat transfer compound same one used in CPU in your computer to attach it to the heatsink. You are in business, that is assuming the PMD is the culprit.

If you haven't made a purchase yet I would get a dipacto. It cost me $178 + shipping. Approximately $190. Please don't grade my post. It know you teachers just love to come onto these forums and make fun of our grammar and spelling. :D

I feel you on the on the kids. I have 4 under 10 and 1 that is 15. The 4 under 10 are boys. We just got back from camping and they faught on the up and luckily they slept most of the way home. I don't know how my wife does it. She just happens to be at her moms for a week. Lucky me. Good thing school starts back up in 2 weeks.

I checked out the wiring harness near the turbo on the passenger side. The plastic around the wiring harness was melted where the harness had fell against the turbo. This had happened before I had obtained the truck. The wiring harness was zip tied to hold it off of the turbo. I removed the melted shielding and tried searching the bundle of wires for breaks or shorts. The wires wanted to hang together but seperated. The wires were exposed to a great deal of heat at some time. I am trying to make sure that all of the wires from the ecm to the pmd are good. Where can I find a chart that shows where A1 C12 ect are on the ecm? I was hoping to see make sure all of the wires from the pmd to the ecm had not been damaged in that area. I can't afford another pmd to check and see if the old one is bad. I am unsure that the pmd is bad since both the old and remote mount cause the engine to do the exact same thing.
To review:
Truck cranks and dies immediatly
Truck will crank and run with either the CPS or OS unplugged in limp mode.
Lift pump and OPS are working and were checked with a gauge.
The fuel shutoff solenoid has 12volts with key on and clicks as if it is working.

Last edited:
I would find the same size guaged wire and cut out the melted wires if you can and splice in new wires and see if that gets it. It would require that you have enough on the ends that are not melted to splice into.

I would also create a new thread w/ a heading of wiring diagram or something like that. I would post at the other place as well since you never know who is looking one location or the other.

I checked out the wires. I found one that had rubbed enough for wires to be showing. I checked all the wires I could from the PMD, map sensor, baro sensor, CPS, fuel shutoff solenoid, and coolant sensor all the way back to the ECM. All showed around .2 to .3 ohms of resistance. I put the PMD ground back on the IP. I pulled the PMD and reset the screws on the transistors. She still cranks and dies. Still cranks and runs if I pull the OS wires or the CPS wires.

Reading that would a partially sheared IP gear cause a false CPS code ? I'm throwing out guesses. Never had to mess with my CPS yet on either and after reading the last few post hope I never do.

I am unsure if it is still throwing a CPS code. It doesn't want to start and run like it did before when it would die when giving her more fuel. I don't think it runs long enough to throw any codes now. If it was still trouble with the CPS i don't beleive it would run with the optic sensor undone. Could the change in timing in limp mode be enough to get her to run and run good if it was a partially sheared IP gear key?

Back