• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Defroster working on one side only?

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi All,
....of course the worst time for the defroster to go silly on me is in a snow storm. The front windshield defroster on the 1996 6.5 Suburban K2500 appears to be working only on the passenger side. Is there a separate defroster control vent door for the driver side as I do not feel any heat coming from the top of the dash on the driver side?

Not looking forward to this one as the little voices in my head are telling me the dash has to come out to fix what ever is wrong here?

Can anyone weigh in on this one?
Thanks
TGK

If you can't figure it out quickly. Harbor Freight has a 12V defroster for less than $20.

Theres only 1 door for the defrost in the GMT-400 trucks. GM did issue a bulletin years back to install a new defrost outlet to the HVAC housing to correct this issue as it has been there since at least 95. If this is a new revalation for yours, then I would look down into the defrost vent and see if dust or leaves are blocking it.

Just a hunch: have a look at the mode door pivot.

They come loose and fall off the pivot point. The usual symptom is they won't switch modes.

But, if one pivot has fallen and the actuator still can move the door, it is possible it could be "cocked" in its plenum and the air is being directed to one side by the door being askew. I would think you would have other indications if this was the issue.

That's a long shot, but other than something haven fallen into the defroster outlet duct and can't imagine what else could cause that symptom....

I had to take the whole HVAC unit out of my 97 ecsb truck. All blend doors had issues like fallen out of place or no seals. There is a thread on here with part #s. Hopefully its not as bad as mine. PIA to pivot dash and remove box. I did complete interior redo while seats were out. Only thing left is katskin seat covers. Leroy, if you read this, can you get me a good price on them?

Back