• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF aka Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Drago

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Jeep with a Mercedes-Benz OM642 motor in it and it requires DEF, does a gallon last a good long while in a passenger vehicle? My state doesn't have an emissions check, could I get away with using demineralized water in a jam? I read if it's runs empty it goes into limp mode.

From what I have read they have the def tanks large enough to last between oil changes.(When it is time to change the oil, time to fill the def tank.)

Yes, most will go into a form of limp mode when the tank gets empty. But, they give you plenty of warnings and time to fill it.

I remember reading an article of people putting tap water in it, this was on a dodge 3500+.

What Y/M/M Jeep? If it's one of the 07-08 Grand Cherokee's, those don't use DEF, they only have a DPF.

And a word of warning, they have a DEF quality sensor in them so you can't use just water in them. DEF isn't that expensive, is widely available now, and it is designed to last for a long time. So there isn't really a reason to cheap out on it and run water.

Some Fuel Stations are starting to have DEF avail. at the Pump now too, so no more Buying Jugs, if you come across one of those Stations.

Bad idea to run bio in any DPF equipped vehicle. It doesn't evaporate on the exhaust stroke and winds up in the oil while making cleaning the DPF take longer. Just in case you had that fuel in mind for it...

Diesel Particulate Filter. Some call it a 'cat' short for catalytic converter.. Or ash tray, you name it. It's that thingy upstream in the exhaust that supposedly makes the trees smile and get greener as you drive by. Lol

I'm looking at a Jeep with a Mercedes-Benz OM642 motor in it and it requires DEF, does a gallon last a good long while in a passenger vehicle? My state doesn't have an emissions check, could I get away with using demineralized water in a jam? I read if it's runs empty it goes into limp mode.

I thought Jeeps used the VM Motori diesel? I would use what is supposed to be in there. Use DEF only. You can get it at Walmart and most of the refueling stations now. Some stations even have a DEF pump outside for it now.

OK what is DPF?
Its an 07 I'm looking at being sold at KBB

If it's an '07 is does NOT use DEF.

DPF is just another Soot Trap along with the Cat. Look into Tuning so you can get it Deleted and get your MPG back that you're gonna Lose when it goes into Re-gen Mode to Burn Off all the Soot.

TS Performance makes a Tuner Box for it too. ;)

Back