• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Deere Won't Start Unless Fuel Poured Directly In Carb

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
So this is the Second time this has happened with my Deere. First time, the Plungers just came Loose in the Fuel Pump, so I took it apart and put them back where they belonged and everything Worked fine.

Then last week, I had a no Start Situation, figured it was the Fuel Pump again, so I just Ordered and New one to replace the 15+ Year Old one. Put in the New Pump Today, Turned the Key and nothing. Took the Old one apart and everything was fine with it, took the New one apart, everything is fine.

Interesting...

Took off the Main Fuel Line, Blew Compressed Air through it to "backwash" itself, some crap Blew out. Still no Start.

Brand New Plug in it, has Spark, still no Start.

Clean Air Filter, still no Start.

New Fuel Filter, still no Start.

Fresh Fuel, still no Start.

Dump Fuel directly into Carb...Fires right up and will Run for Hours. So once it gets Started, it'll stay Running, it just can't Start without the Help of Fuel getting Dumped in the Carb.

Any Ideas?

Accelerator pumping bladder/ mechanism. I don't know Deere, but that sounds like a dried out carburetor pump to me.

Any pics of the carb, couple angles could help.

Other option is fuel bleeding back past fuel pump so lines are dry until running.

Maybe an air leak in gasket of intake somewhere so the venturi effect isn't working in carb right at slower RPM. I have a Generac generator that wouldn't run right when it idled down for no load it hunted and rev'ed but would run wide open fine. I found the intake loose. Or other problem with Venturi effect of carb.

Does it idle ok?

My JD had that same issue when I had a pinhole in the intake fuel line. Wouldn't start, wouldn't hold a prime, once it was running, things were fine. Shut it off, wait 10 minutes, and dead again.

easy to test. Replace line from tank to pump.

Float may be sticking. My old JD had that problem. Once running the vibration of the engine keeps it moving freely

Had that same problem on my old Model A Ford. In my case the needle valve for the float was full of crud and sticking. Took the carb off, cleaned it all out (blew the passages out with carb. cleaner using the straw in the nozzle), reassembled it and it has worked fine for years since. I did add an inline filter since it only had the stock glass-bowl style. Based on everything you've done it just about has to be the carburetor.

Back