• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Decent CHEAP laptop?

Excellent! It pays to do your research! I'm thinking you will be pretty pleased with the finished result. Good for you Ferman...

Anybody know of any decent CHEAP laptops out there? My son decided to finish mine off for me this morning after I had just fixed the hinge pins in it yesterday. So I'm reduced to using my phone, and to say it is lacking would be an understatement. With a newborn I'm on a tight budget, really need a laptop for my tuning, so money IS an obstacle right now. I've been getting dells, but really not happy with the cheap plastic the last 2 were built of and looking for something a bit more robust.
Thefer, i can't help you with the laptop but if you think yer on a tight budget now with the little ones! .. just wait till they get older!!! ;):wideyed::nailbiting:

Thefer, i can't help you with the laptop but if you think yer on a tight budget now with the little ones! .. just wait till they get older!!! ;):wideyed::nailbiting:

Something about "child labor laws don't apply to your own children?" Get back to work! Dad needs more diesel parts!!! :p

Were trying to scrape by now and save for there futures so we don't have to break the bank when they get older. Hopefully it works out.

I never saved a dime for my kids future,.. neither did my parents for mine
They bloody well had to get their ass in gear and work for their own like i had to.
"My name is Sue.. how do you Do"..:).

So far so good,.. all 4 of them have good jobs and living on their own.( they drive better vehicles than me too);)

I checked amazon, and it looks like I can pick up a 1TB SSD for about $80. It looks like the cheap lenovo, an SSD, add in a 8GB ram chip, an external hard drive enclosure, and I should be able to set up a decent laptop for fairly cheap.
Ferm, I'm worried that you found a 1 TB SSD for $80. You shouldn't be able to find a 1 TB SSD for less than $350 at this point in time. if this is what you found for a hard drive I'd like to warn you it's not what you think it is. This is a SSHD, not a SSD.

- SSHD stands for Solid State Hybrid Drive. It has a standard 1 TB, 5400 RPM spindle drive. Inside the drive is 8 GB of flash storage. The drive is smart enough to figure out the files you access most often and store them on the 8 GB of flash for quicker access. You do NOT get to pick what goes on the flash storage portion; the drive does. They cost about the same as a standard spindle drive of the same size. You may notice a bit of a speed increase, but it will be nothing even close to what you'll get with...

- SSD stands for Solid State Drive. The whole drive is flash storage with no moving parts. It's incredibly fast when compared to a spindle drive. That's why they cost so much more. The sweet spot for SSD's right now is either ~250 GB for $100 or ~500 GB for $170. They cost way more per GB than a spindle drive will, but it's TOTALLY worth it. I'm in IT, and I hate working on computers that don't have SSD's 'cause they're so frickin' slow.

Sorry for writing a novel. If you did find an actual $80 SSD, please post the link. That'd be AMAZING!!!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Samsung 250gb SSD I put in my laptop in Dec 2013 was $167

Yeah, it seems like flash memory must be getting cheaper. Both RAM and SSD's are dropping in price. My 512 GB Transcend SSD was $180 about 6 months ago. It's a good trend.

I dug deeper and found it was a hybrid drive. The prices I'm seeing seem to be around $180 for a 500GB SSD drive in a 7MM like this particuliar laptop uses. I found a place on AMAZON that sells it with the upgrades I'm looking at already installed for about the same price I would pay for the laptop and parts to upgrade it to what I want. Then I could get an external hard drive enclosure for a standard laptop hard drive, and take the hard drive out of my old laptop for backup. Plus I have read of a few problems with this model showing up in the 1st few weeks, and if I buy through AMAZON, I can always return it if I have an issue.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Ended up getting that model, but with some upgrades. I didn't want go over $600, but ended up spending $680 after upgrades. I ponied up and got it with 16gb ram, 250 gb ssd drive, and got it with the a10 quad core 4mb processor with upgraded video. The wife's iPad won't let me post a link to it, but it's through Amazon(Lenovo e555 with an A10 processor). And for extra storage I can pick up an external 2tb hard drive for $80.

Figured it out, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3UP79K/?tag=jhuntlink-20

Last edited:
I have a brand new $600 Lenovo still in the box bought 2 years ago, I'm still thinking of using it for target practice but my wife is against it
The POS never ran good from day one, I took it back to the dealer 3 times in the matter of 1 week, last time it came back after 4 months, it crapped out after 5 min of use right in the store.
I did not want it anymore, I told him to keep the POS, but he would not refund the money.
When i threatened to make him a necklace out of it with his head for anvil he called the cops.
Damn cops have no sense of meting out justice either,..useless pricks.

I have a brand new $600 Lenovo still in the box bought 2 years ago, I'm still thinking of using it for target practice but my wife is against it
The POS never ran good from day one, I took it back to the dealer 3 times in the matter of 1 week, last time it came back after 4 months, it crapped out after 5 min of use right in the store.
I did not want it anymore, I told him to keep the POS, but he would not refund the money.
When i threatened to make him a necklace out of it with his head for anvil he called the cops.
Damn cops have no sense of meting out justice either,..useless pricks.

Contact Lenovo directly. Provide repair receipts and maybe they will help you out.

Sounds like a loose heatsink.

Their quality is not what IBM was and I tend to pick other brands before them.

Contact Lenovo directly. Provide repair receipts and maybe they will help you out.

Sounds like a loose heatsink.

Their quality is not what IBM was and I tend to pick other brands before them.

Lenovo "fixed" the effen thing the last time!!.
What repair receipts??, the thing was bad straight out of the box!!
I'm done with that Lenova plastic crap :punch:

My Lenovo was broken right out of the box as well. Their overseas tech people made it worse, and I too fixed it myself. I will never get another one. It gets PIA glitches like screen won't brighten and then I have to reload the utility driver again.

I've heard mostly good luck from Lenovo.. I have a new Dell right now. The Surface Pro 4 is my text laptop (and tablet as well :) ) ..

It's probably just my my bad luck. It was the lack of tech support I got and the fact that they made a sales pitch for malware protection and couldn't figure out issue with laptop. My sister uses commercial version and they are reliable. I really like the Surface concept as well.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Ended up getting that model, but with some upgrades. I didn't want go over $600, but ended up spending $680 after upgrades. I ponied up and got it with 16gb ram, 250 gb ssd drive, and got it with the a10 quad core 4mb processor with upgraded video. The wife's iPad won't let me post a link to it, but it's through Amazon(Lenovo e555 with an A10 processor). And for extra storage I can pick up an external 2tb hard drive for $80.

Figured it out, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3UP79K/?tag=jhuntlink-20
Looks good. That A10 is a good processor. With the RAM and SSD, you'll be golden. Just make sure you uninstall all the bloatware that Lenovo (and every other manufacturer) includes. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Back