• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Db2 rotor machining?

Rockabillyrat

SlIgHtLy StUpId.
Reaction score
I've been looking around for a shop to EDM machine my rotor for bigger plungers. There are a few shops around me that look promising. But I wanted to check with you guys just incase someone knew a shop that was really good with machining these old pumps.

I ordered the biggest plungers stanadyne still offers for the DB pumps. The plungers are selective and there are 4 sizes to choose from. They increase by .00025" so I ordered 2 sets of each selective plunger. I would guess the rotor will need machined slightly undersize and then the bore will need lapped to correct RA finish and size. Then the correct selective plunger will be selected to match the finished bore size.

I think I can get a BIG DB2 to push the same or more fuel as a DB4. I'm not a fan of the DB4 plunger set up so that's why I'm looking to build a DB2 instead.

Not a bad idea. I don't think he is building any machined pumps since his big stuff is DB4s. But maybe his builder can do the machine work. I will message him and ask.

I had one done,the plungers seized. I don't recamend doing it. But if you do,make sure the plungers have 2 groves in the center. This should help at keeping them lubed.

I was thinking of having the components coated by Chris when I get into mine. Less friction and longer wear.

Sorry no help on which machine shops. Maybe use TITUS and you can be on tv- haha

I had one done,the plungers seized. I don't recamend doing it. But if you do,make sure the plungers have 2 groves in the center. This should help at keeping them lubed.
The plungers I ordered I don't believe have the grooves in them. They didn't list any option for grooved plungers in any of my part sheets. But had talked about them on the previous page? They should be here tomorrow.

How was yours machined? With .00025" tolerance the machine work and Ra surface finish need to be perfect I'd imagine.

I was thinking of having the components coated by Chris when I get into mine. Less friction and longer wear.

Sorry no help on which machine shops. Maybe use TITUS and you can be on tv- haha
I was thinking about coating mine for ULSD. They do it for the DS4 so I see no reason I can't do that with a DB2.

I had it edm machined,plus extra charge holes. The plungers were also custom made.

I was planning on adding 2 more charge ports to mine as well. Well hopefully I have better luck then you did. I'm build 2 pumps. One .330 that will be my daily and reliable pump. And the experimental pump is for just for fun.

What size plungers did you have made?

They were 1/2 inch. After that one I went with the 4 plunger .310. Currently runing the .290 2 plunger ,and its awsome.

Half inch, that's huge!!!! The biggest stanadyne offered was .450. But they are obsolete now. I've also heard you can't go any bigger than the .450 because is causes issues. I think the 2 plunger pumps are the way to go. But I'd like to play with a .310 4 plunger just to see how it does.

Back