• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Daniel Dagostino

Dags

Reaction score
Need a little help figuring out why I have no spark. I rebuilt the motor in my 1997 Chevy K 1500 with the 5.0 Vortec. I drove the vehicle for a few weeks after rebuilding the motor. And the ground wire coming off the battery loosen. Or I forgot to tighten it. But after fixing the loose ground wire I lost Spark I replaced the ignition control modular as well as the coil as well as the crank sensor and computer and still no spark I was wondering if the cam sensor would cause no spark and no tachometer movement

Last edited:
Test for power. Dont just change parts. Often new parts are faulty and will have you adding more problems than your original one.

The cam sensor won't keep the engine from starting. Since you have no tach or spark, it has to be crank sensor or wiring. Check the crank sensor wire where it goes in front of the passenger side exhaust manifold.

New parts more often than not equal junk. Firing the parts cannon is a good way to create a bunch of problems. Does your fuel pump come on for a few seconds at key on? Is there fuel on the plugs? Are you checking for spark at the coil wire or at a spark plug? It's always best to have a scanner of some kind to see if the PCM is powering up and seeing the crank sensor signal. I'm not certain on a 97 black box if no cam sensor will stop it from starting. I know later models start in batch using just the crank sensor, then switch to sequential once the cam sensor is steady, but there isn't much info out there on the 96/97 black box. I know distributor gears are very failure probe on these and can cause all kinds of issues. Crank sensors are normally pretty good. I can count on one hand how many ignition modules I've seen fail on these(most of those were aftermarket ones installed chasing problems). Another thing to do is the wiggle test. I've seen many of these trucks where the wires break inside the insulation right near the crimp. When ypu wiggle it, it will move very easily or have a small spot where the insulation has shrunk down around the broken wire.

I had a 97 and it would run with the cam sensor unplugged. I had lots of trouble with wet distributer caps. Did lots of them at work also. And on the gears I allways install an extra shim. Now that they are getting older I see bad upper dist shaft bushings also.

I had a 97 and it would run with the cam sensor unplugged. I had lots of trouble with wet distributer caps. Did lots of them at work also. And on the gears I allways install an extra shim. Now that they are getting older I see bad upper dist shaft bushings also.
YUP, why WD-40 was created. Water Displacing.

I figured out what the problem was the new crank sensor that I put in had a thicker base than the MSD one so it wasn't going in far enough to read the crank I ground it down then it ran fine after that the rest of the ignition system is all a MSD now I should have waited the extra two days and waited to get the MSD crank sensor then I wouldn't have ran into all them problems

Back