• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

D-Tech PMD failure....

Exactly. It was designed with internals to live in the heat soaked IP environment. That was it's claim to so called fame. IIRC nothing was ever mentioned on the other end of the spectrum. I suspect a E-mail to D-Tech is in order.

Very interesting. I also have a new D-tech mounted in the bumper nostril. I've noticed the truck doesn't start as well this winter, although my batteries are big and fairly new, and still check out good. My glow plugs were new last year so should still be good, but I was feeling like they weren't working good. Now maybe the PMD could be to blame? No fishbiting, but definitely a harder start. Sometimes it won't start on the remote starter, I have to go out in the cold and crank it a little longer than the remote will crank, which is pretty brief. I find myself plugging it in more now, I used to only plug it in if it got into the single digits (fahrenheit)

Very interesting. I also have a new D-tech mounted in the bumper nostril. I've noticed the truck doesn't start as well this winter, although my batteries are big and fairly new, and still check out good. My glow plugs were new last year so should still be good, but I was feeling like they weren't working good. Now maybe the PMD could be to blame? No fishbiting, but definitely a harder start. Sometimes it won't start on the remote starter, I have to go out in the cold and crank it a little longer than the remote will crank, which is pretty brief. I find myself plugging it in more now, I used to only plug it in if it got into the single digits (fahrenheit)

you try disconnecting the CTS to see if that helps? computer may not be reading ambients properly?

Reconnect to the D-Tech, right now, see if the problem reoccurs - sometimes R&R'ing the connector is the solution, unknown because the cure is attributed to the replacement device rather than the re-established electrical connection - might cast a jaundiced eye on the connector pins, while yer at it.....................

I had a Stanadyne unit stall on me and would not crank up. I could coast to a stop jump out unplugged then replugged in and it worked for a few days between issues. I then drove it a week +/- with Dtech in the truck cab as a spare waiting to see if I really needed it. It stalled again. Changed over and hadn't had to unplug/replug since.

Interesting to see if it brings it back to life.

I am using a Heath made extension. Mounted on a amplifier heat sink on driver fender (behind the anitlock brake stuff) like Kennedy site. The remote Stanadyne lasted 4-5 +/- years. OE PMD lasted what about the same maybe a year or 2 longer.

Plugged the D-Tech back in for my drive to work today.

It gave me about half a dozen fishbites in a 110 km long drive.

Gonna plug the Stanadyne in for the drive home and see what happens....

Well, alrighty then - looks like we have a loser - any rust\oxidation in the module casing can indicate moisture seepage into the module, which would indicate lack of weatherization - moisture is a killer for any electronic module - that's the theme behind the late '80's move to the Japanese weather-pak connectors amongst the wiring harnesses - GM got Toyota\Isuzu, DJC got Mitsubishi, FMC got Mazda - weather-pak: that's the connectors with the cutsie li'l multi-hued soft inserts which can be found from taillite to headlite and all points in between - also helps in match-up of male\female connector halves for the reasoning-impaired

My PMD is well sealed - I make a habit of going overboard on those sorts of things, especially when you live in the sticks and NEED to have it running properly....

Before calling it done, I want to see if the Stanadyne fishbites, if so my homebuilt harness may come into question....good thing I have an extra harness kicking around...

Hmm....

Drove home with the Stanadyne and everything was going great until it gave two quick and hard bites. Then no issues for the rest of the trip.

I may have a different underlying issue that the D-Tech makes more prominent than the Stanadyne, or it might just be a coincidence that the D-Tech fishbites way more often than the Stanadyne....

Stay tuned, I'll get to the bottom of it....

Gonna drive it to work tomorrow with the scanner hooked up watching a few of the sensors - especially fuel rate...

Back