• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

D-Tech PMD failure....

chrisk1500

Reaction score
This post is just an FYI showing that even the great D-Tech is not bulletproof....

I have been chasing a fishbiting problem for a couple of weeks now and finally figured it out.

I was running a brand new D-Tech PMD mounted on a heatsink and located in the front bumper. The PMD was properly attached to the heatsink using heatsink compound and weatherproofed around the edges of the PMD and in the top of the screw holes.

The PMD still works (ie - the truck still starts and runs well) but there is a distinctive hiccup occuring randomly. The hiccup occurs at idle and at cruise on the highway. It feels like the truck skips a beat.

I plugged in my old trusty Stanadyne that was on my old 6.5. It has been on a properly prepped remote heatsink for a couple of years now. As soon as I installed that PMD the hiccup went away and the truck is running nicely again. I will keep the D-Tech as a backup in case this old Stanadyne calls it quits...

Dumb as it sounds, Chris, I'd like you to try the Dtech back out when it warms up...

... remember the issues the Sol-D (by remarq) had with Canadian Cold weather?

No problem....I have both of them mounted in the front bumper right now - one bolted to each nostril hole....

Not so fast, everybody... we know that the Stanadynes were failure-prone, too, but some lasted a long time. There is no reason to believe that the DTechs will last forever, but they do seem to be standing up to the heat a little better than the Stanadyne PMDs, and besides, that isn't why most people bought them, as I recall... it was because they were cheaper.

If price wasn't a problem, y'all would have bought the Heath isolators just for the warranty you hoped never to use.

So... It's interesting that the DTech started fishbiting, rather than simply crapping out. Is that the same problem, just with different symptoms? I know that Chris would have mounted his properly, so that rules out a lot of possibilities, but the one thing that we aren't sure of is how the DTech handles the COLD.

(Note that right now, overheating a bumper-mounted PMD in Saskatchewan is not very likely.)

That's why I asked Chris to hang onto his DTECH and try to plug it back in when it's warmer out and see if the problem is still there... with a fried Stanadyne PMD, once it starts to stall, it's only a matter of time before it dies forever. They don't regenerate from thermal damage. But what about errors brought on by the cold? Will they disappear?

The simple fact is, the DTechs are too new for us to speculate, and Chris' case may be isolated, although I have heard of a few others.

We need data, people...

I am 99.99999% sure it is the PMD because the issue went away when plugging in the old PMD.

In hindsight, I suppose that is not to say that the failure is in my wiring harness (although I doubt it)....I will look into it further...

It's been pretty cold here in CT but i have not been driving the Tahoe because I have been driving the fuel truck so I can't say but I put it on back in the spring so I have no cold weather trials yet.
So your saying it's.00001 possible it's not the PMD...Wheew I though mine was a goner..
:)
I didn't go Heath second time around because money was tight and the standyne one on my pump was still good, no issues. The plan was to just remote mount that one. But When I pulled the intake and tried to get it off I couldn't so I said screw it and bought a D Tech. I most likely will be replacing my IP anyway this summer so I'll get it off then plus the new IP will most likely have a new one.

Reconnect to the D-Tech, right now, see if the problem reoccurs - sometimes R&R'ing the connector is the solution, unknown because the cure is attributed to the replacement device rather than the re-established electrical connection - might cast a jaundiced eye on the connector pins, while yer at it.....................

Can do jd...gonna be bitter cold tomorrow so might have to wait for Sunday driving....

EDIT - if the symptoms return I can do you one better and install it on my Dad's 6.5 and see if the problem follows the PMD....

Interesting, mine has had a bad hiccup when idling , especially since it has been cold and then it began cutting out badly, but only occasionally, and now it won't even start unless it is over about 60*, then it may run fine and it may not. I also have a D-tech mounted on a cooler.

I thought the IP was going south, maybe it isn't.

Chris, what kind of temps are you seeing up that far north? We've been around the (generally) 20*F mark at night and around 32*F during the day near Chicago.

Scott, we've been seeing -30*C to -37*C up here for about 3 weeks now... that big ugly cold air mass that has been over most of the continent just never seems to quite leave us...

-40*F and -40*C are the same, for reference.

Just askin caus like Jim said, we know how heat affects the PMD, but very little info on how it reacts in the extreme cold. Well, at least I think very little. I wonder if the D-Tech that was mounted on the IP would do better, with the fuel heating it. Sorta like maintaining a certain temp range. Just curious...

Just askin caus like Jim said, we know how heat affects the PMD, but very little info on how it reacts in the extreme cold. Well, at least I think very little. I wonder if the D-Tech that was mounted on the IP would do better, with the fuel heating it. Sorta like maintaining a certain temp range. Just curious...

Possibly for dire cold, only if its always plugged in, Where as bumper mount will reach ambients no matter how long its plugged in :)

well..In reality IIRC wasn't the D Tech designed to be mounted on the IP because it could withstand the heat ? It would be interesting to mount one there and see how it holds up.

Back