• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CV axle shaft

Sunshine

Northern Lights
Reaction score
I've damaged the rubber boot on the front CV axle shaft nearest the wheel.

Looks like I've pinched it as the grease is oozing out with the top of the beaker bar when i was removing the hub assy.

Is it worth trying to repair it if so what would be the best way,I was thinking from the inside cone shaped peace of rubber..? what sort of grease is in there as this is light green in colour, could you use any other type of grease.

Thanx..:thumbsup:

Best bet is to pull the shaft and install the new boot they also make 2 piece boots that you can install without taking the shaft out. Let me know I may be able to ship you the part if I can get it here cheaper.

Best bet is to pull the shaft and install the new boot they also make 2 piece boots that you can install without taking the shaft out. Let me know I may be able to ship you the part if I can get it here cheaper.

Dennis that's great if you would do that for me and ship, will you ship direct to me or to NJ... looks like I'm in need pretty quick as the journey starts in 4 weeks they can also send them by aeroplane from NJ but the will need some PIA paper work..(would it best to do both sides as they 14yrs old)

The front wheel cartridges are they the ones that sit in the hub assy coz I've just brought 2 new hub assy that's with the rotors ,studs, ABS sensors bla,bla, weigh about 40lb each on there way over with the ATT by boat should be here next week or so. shall I PM you..?

Thanks brother for your thought fullness

Dennis that's great if you would do that for me and ship, will you ship direct to me or to NJ... looks like I'm in need pretty quick as the journey starts in 4 weeks they can also send them by aeroplane from NJ but the will need some PIA paper work..(would it best to do both sides as they 14yrs old)

The front wheel cartridges are they the ones that sit in the hub assy coz I've just brought 2 new hub assy that's with the rotors ,studs, ABS sensors bla,bla, weigh about 40lb each on there way over with the ATT by boat should be here next week or so. shall I PM you..?

Thanks brother for your thought fullness

Pm me and I will get started on the parts

I've never had luck replacing just the boots before.

They always leak again.

I replaced my front CV axle a few years ago and it was only 140 beans or so at the local parts place.

FWIW a ripped boot with occasional 4x4 use will probably last you over a year, with a definitive clicking sound when it starts to fail.

Food for thought Matt Thanx, got 206.000Km`s (128.000 mils) on the clock, should think about a complete front CV Joint Axle Shaft shift, maybe I'm pushing it to the limit, just now haven't to much time on my hands before the trip to Italy..

A good set of cv boots will last a long time unless they're punctured or something, which will occasionally happen. I ran my last half ton 180,000+ miles and replaced the boots twice, I think. I always replace both on the shaft while it's out of the truck, though, because if you're doing one, you might as well do them both and spend the extra $25 in case the other one isn't far behind, in my opinion.

This truck has near 160,000 on it and I've replaced the boots once, when I first got it and I have one that is torn, so I'll be doing one set soon. I've never replaced the whole shaft. Really, the only guys I know that replace shafts are those that plow around here. Other than that, I really never hear of it unless the boot went dry and trashed itself.

Oki Doki SnowDrift I was reading the advice from ssD site that its best to shift out the whole assy at a 100k`s, but I'm listening to you guys...

CV-shafts will last along time if kept free of water and dirt inside, thats what kills them. I could see the snow plow guy wearing a set out with the constant high torque load, but most should last a long time. If you replace the boot soon after the boot gets torn, before dirt and water get in they'll last a long time.

My 92 has 350k, I replaced the boots once, I rubbed a hole in one and decided to replace them all along with ball joints, I have since replaced the lower ball joints again.

The key to replacing boots is having the correct tool for the type of clamp you have, there is atleast four types maybe, more. One of my favorite types of clamps is the ones that the strap goes around twice, you insert the loose end into a tool that you wind up like opening a can of sardines, once tite you bend it back over itself, bend a couple tabs over it and cut off the excess.

I've never heard anything good about the two piece boots. Leaks etcetera. Also if any water or dirt entered the boot, its already damaged the CV joint. Complete dis-assembly and cleaning is the only way to make sure no grit ruins the CV joint.

Complete New half shaves can be had for $150 to 200a ea

I replace mine last winter. I didn't remove the unused reluctor ring from the new shaft. It was rubbing on the lower ball joint. While cutting it off, the cutting wheel slipped and cut the brand new boot.

Replaced with a new one right away. Still need to clean it up and re boot it, for a spare.

Back