• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Curb weight of 1995 2500 4x4 xcab longbox

dieseldust

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know the weight of a 2500 1995 xcab long box 4x4, i would like to pull a fith wheel trailer with it and am trying to figure out how big of a trailer i could pull safely looking at maybe a 30 ft one about 8500 lbs or so.

James

P/S i go get my truck on Monday !!!!!!!! ya hooooo i bought it

Hey does anyone know the weight of a 2500 1995 xcab long box 4x4, i would like to pull a fith wheel trailer with it and am trying to figure out how big of a trailer i could pull safely looking at maybe a 30 ft one about 8500 lbs or so.

James

P/S i go get my truck on Monday !!!!!!!! ya hooooo i bought it

My 98 short bed ex cab weighs just under 7000lb's on a dot scale, 3990 on the front and 2900 on the rear.
i would expect yours to be very close to that.

the titled curb weight of my 97 2500HD extended cab long bed 4x4 is 5,883lbs, with a max gvw of 8600lbs.

the manual says max trailer weight for the 6.5 with 4.10's is 8000lbs (assuming a normal ball hitch)

so if you take the 8k lbs you can tow, and add the 1500 lbs you can put in the truck you get (weight from the 5th wheel) you can pull 9500lbs from the factory spec.

subtract 1000lbs for 3.73's (according to the manual)

however, there are people here with lightly modified trucks that are pulling 2 to 3 times that amount with little issue.

Tow ratings from the 98 owners manual

Model, gear ratio weight

K1500 3:42 6000#, 3:73 7000#
C2500 3:42 6500#, 3:73 7500#, 4:10 8500#
K2500 3:73 6000#, 4:10 8000#
C3500 4:10 8000#
K3500 4:10 7500#
C3500 4:10 8000# (crew cab)
K3500 4:10 7500# (crew cab)
C3500 4.63 9000# (chasis cab)
C3500 5:13 10000# (chasis cab)

FYI as explained in the owners manual GVW is curb weight of vehicle plus cargo-people-and if towing tongue weight of what is being towed.

10% tongue weight is recommended for bumper pull, & 12% for weight distributing hitch

This from the sticker on my door :

3925# front axle 3750# rear axle per sticker for a 7675# combined, but from experience hauling the GN trailer empty before maxxing out my mods the 5680# empty GN trailer was a challenge, so if trailer you plan to pull is 7500# you are in for some work especially if any grades are involved, and not accounting for wind drag as well.

My buddy Ryan aka Snowdrift posted this on another forum once some good info:

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

In the United States, two important GVWR limitations are 6,000 pounds (2,721 kg) and 8,500 pounds (3,856 kg). Vehicles over 6,000 pounds are restricted from many city roadways (though there is some dispute about whether this restriction is for actual curb weight or GVWR), and vehicles over 8,500 pounds do not have to display EPA estimated fuel mileage or a Monroney sticker nor are they subject to state emissions testing.

Most U.S. cars have a placard (sticker) with this information. It is located typically either in the driver's side door or doorframe, owners manual, or also may be present on another sticker immediately under the hood near the radiator, although that sticker more typically contains information about the size of the motor, various fluid capacities, etc.

Most U.S. commercial trucks (especially semi-trailer trucks and dump trucks) are required by licensing authorities to have this information printed on the outside of the vehicle and for it to be clearly visible from a specified distance. Many do so by painting these numbers in a large font on the driver's side of the truck near the door.

Gross weight is often confused with curb weight, which represents the weight of the vehicle with no passengers or cargo. The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle.

For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 2000 pounds might have a cargo capacity of 3000 pounds, meaning it can have a gross weight of 5000 pounds when fully loaded.

For vehicles containing no fuel or driver, the gross weight is the sum of the tare weight (the unladen vehicle weight) and the weight of the load carried.

For the measuring of loads picked up at a depot or materials yard (such as gravel or rock, or other bulk goods), the weight of the driver, fuel, and existing loads are assumed to be constant between the weighing of the vehicle upon entrance (tare) and laden (gross) upon exit.

Such weights are determined by a specialized scale called a weigh bridge, and such scales will usually have a computing function within the display to compute tare weight.

With further clarification: In Ohio, it's based on the combined CAPACITY of the components. An Ohio State Highway Patrol friend of mine stopped by the other day and was telling me about how they look at it. He used my GVWRs for an example. 8600 (truck)+20,000 (trailer)=28,600 lbs. reads "must have CDL" above 25,000 lbs.

I'm not saying I understand it at all, nor that I agree, just that he's the one with the ticket book if it came down to it.

My truck is a C3500 Crew cab Dually 2 wheel drive and it weights in at 6600 pounds.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

My DaHoooley (95 Crewcab 4x4 long box) weighs #7000 with fuel)

The 94 Burb 2500 4x4 weighs about #6200

6200 to 6500 is a good range.

Slip on by a DOT scale and check it out. You should be able to find one close by and the reader board outside is usually on even if the scale house is not open.

MGW

Thanks to everyone thats what i figured maybe 6200 or so , thanks Missy ,i used to come down to newberg quite often to haul scrap paper int o the mill there nice place and bye the way nice Dually.

James

Last edited:
In Ontario curb (unloaded Wt of vehicle ) is on the ownership(license) as well as the Registered Gross vehicle wt the owner licenses it for . Would BC be similar ?

In any event best to load up with wife, fuel. kids & dog & tools emergency stuff etc etc. All the stuff that would go in the truck itself for a normal rv /camping trip, then go to gravel pit or whatever for a weigh in & get astounded at the numbers

Subtract that wt from the gvw rating found on door post. That will tell you what you,ve got left wt wise for the 5th wheel hitch.

Back