• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins unveils 'Re-Power' engine at SEMA 2016

I agree! A Wrangler with this little power plant would be a sweet ride. So is this considered similar to the 4BT?

After some digging, this is a CUMMINS engine, BUT it's built in CHINA! It's used in the foton make of vehicles right now which is a chinese built line of vehicles using alot of parts from other vehicles(stuff they build in china). Look on youtube for the foton tinland trucks as they use this engine, and theres also video of the nissan prototype being driven with this engine.

220 / 500 out of a 4-banger??? If this little beast proves reliable (despite its country of origin), it will give the 6.5 group a good option. Just imagine not having to take out the wheel wells to work on the motor :D

Been doing some more reading on it. Apparently it's been around for over 8 years. It was more so a chinese venture that Cumm8ns lent there name to. Early engines had ALOT of early failures which seemed to be predominately programming related. Power ratings for longevity seem to be 8n the 160-180 range with torque in the mid 300 range. There is also a 3.8l version of this engine that is very similiar, but seems to be more robust. It is not US epa compliant from anything I can find, and until now Cummins has said they had no desire to releade it here. It is supposed to have been the 3.9l's replacement engine in South America for the super duty trucks built there. Prices seem to be in the $7-10K range, but these were for non epa approved engines without dpf's. No word on which bolt pattern, but it issupposed to be a round 12 bolt bellhousing pattern.

It could be a good engine, but I see cost being a HUGE hurdle, I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna spend $10K on a 4 cylinder diesel when youcan spend a fraction of that for a LS eng8ne that makes more torque, 3 times the HP, similiar weight, and parts are EVERYWHERE!

Parts for Chinese gensets are hard enough if not impossible to find.

Theres company close to me that sells the 3.8l isf engine for jeep conversions, and they are getting right at $13K for one complete with no emissions equipment on them. They're listed on alibaba for $6-8K, but it doesn't say if they are complete, HP ratings(believe they're industrial versions), or shipping costs. I just don't see this taking off when you can get an LS swapped in for $3K. 5hen again, I did find a jeep forum with a group of guys who have spent $30K, yes $30,000 dollars to have one of these 3.8l chinese cummins swapped into there late model wranglers.

Per Cummins the 2.8 ISF is the modern replacement for the 4bt engine. Price tag through the repower program is about 7-8k depending on your state (taxes and shipping). Small little engine but makes good power and (after the initial programming issues) has a good reputation. That includes the computer, throttle pedal, wiring, everything to make the engine run. Advance Adapters already makes a plate for these to mount to a couple different transmissions. If you have the money for a 6bt swap or a p400, this is right around there for price with probably better fuel economy.

Just following this for a while now and browsing the web. Does it make the power in a similar rpm curve as a 6.5 or is it a higher spinning engine?

Dirt Every Day, which is a spinoff of Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off-Road, which is under the same umbrella as Hot Rod, Motor Trend, and Roadkill and all that stuff, swapped this motor into a previously 4 cyl TJ Wrangler and had good results. There's a couple episodes on it:

I watched both episodes. I'd love to have a career like that. Testing and breaking other people's brand new parts that cost several thousand dollars. Every time I broke something in my 72 blazer or the Toyotas I had, I would have to work a couple weekends of over time just to fix it so I could go break it again.

I wonder if they make a bell housing adapter for that Cummins to fit the transmission in my wife's Chevy uplaner mini van. Ha ha that would be cool to have. A diesel mini van.

Back