• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cub 154 lowbboy.

for whatever reason the thought came to me about possibly needing to keep some lead additive in the fuel so not to burn valves. a lot of older cars and trucks needed this after the tree huggers outlawed leaded fuels.

Looked into this as I know folks with older engines. Seems that lead is only necessary for a few engines where most are indifferent to the presence, or lack, of lead just as long as the octane meets minimums. IIRC, whether the valve seat is hard or soft is the key where soft seats are no bueno without lead.

Bigger concern to me is the effect of alcohol in the fuel in older engines and whether the fuel system is tolerant of that stuff. At a minimum, might need a new fuel line if not a hard line.

If there is an airfield nearby, might be possible to get pure gas with some lead and take care of both aspects at the same time. Just make sure that the fuel is 100LL and not SWIFT94. Do NOT run 100LL in a vehicle with a catalytic converter though. Actually, should not use AvGas in any highway vehicle due to lack of highway tax. AvGas will cost a bit more than MoGas even after playing chemist with more additives, but at least it is ready to pour and will last ~2 years in a can. There is pressure to convert 100LL over to unleaded (SWIFT94 is already unleaded), but am only seeing minor traction in this effort at the moment.

Toward getting rid of lead in the fuel, IIRC synthetic oil does not tolerate leaded fuel, so I'm good with supporting tree hugggers on this one :)

Learn about lead poisoning- and everyone that understands it, especially if anyone you know dealt with it. The lead going away wasn’t a tree hugger thing- eliminating it seriously helped every person under 40 right now live longer.
Some folks who were using leaded gas to wash parts in daily- some of the medical problems are from lead poisoning and not knowing it. Luckily for me and many others, absorbed through skin isn’t as bad as by lungs or stomach.

Many of our parents and grandparents dealt with small level lead poisoning from breathing and handling it that added to their other problems. Probably never killed a single person- but also probably accounted for many of the daily aches and took away some time off their clocks

So back to my own thread .lol . I get sidetracked way to easy.. I said the hell with it and shaved the hole the battery goes in by about half an inch to accommodate the battery I bought..550 CCA.. turns her over good..I've got her running good engine wise .. clutch was froze up from sitting so long. Push pedal but still couldn't go in gear . Everything looked like it was fine so I figured it was just stuck.. shut engine off put it in gear and held the brake while I cranked the engine. Did it in all gears for a couple seconds each . Put it in neutral, started it up and now it shifts good , clutch works good (although I need to adjust it a little) .. everything seems to work really good on it now. I had to put a new coil, distributor cap, wires and plugs and new points in it and a new solenoid..
And for anybody who is not a believer that product that's called "mechanic in A bottle" is awesome... I mixed it up a little more potent than they recommend filled the fuel line with it and dumped some down the breather pipe into the carburetor on that side, let it sit for about 3 hours and after that she fired right up.. obviously after I drained it the carburetor out...
Ordered a new set of tires for the front $102 for both.. the one still holds air but the other one goes flat within an hour. And it was only 20 bucks more to get two instead of one so I said to hell with it I'll change them both... Once I get new belts for the mower deck I should be in really good shape... Cash out of pocket on the whole thing might be $300 from the time I got it to having it usable.. so I'm pretty damn happy with it... Now to try and find implements for it LOL..

I have heard others have good results with that "mechanic in A bottle" stuff. Even on weed eaters. I need to try some on my leaf blower. bought it about 2 years ago new and now it won't start even though I have put nothing but ethanol free gas in it. Now that fall is over and I have leaves and other stuff our trees shed off all over the yard, I need the blower for the driveway and the roof!

@dbrannon79 just dump about 3 ounces of it into about a 1/4 gallon of gas, and if it's 2 stroke make sure you put your oil in it to. Mix up good, dump all the old gas out.fill tank with the mix try starting it a couple times to get in into the carb .remove the air filter and dump more down in the carb that way . Then just set it down do the fuel doesn't run out of carb and let it sit for at least a few hours.. they say over night is best .... Then just tip it to dump the fuel out of the filter side of carb. And let it sit long enough to drain out good. Put filter back on and start it.. be prepared, I used it last night on a old push mower that hasn't ran in a few years and when I pulled the cord on it today it fired up on 3 pull and blew all kinds of crap out of the carb and exhaust...scared the hell out of me lol..of course I hadn't put the filter back on it..

Back