• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CS-130D to CS-144 Alternator upgrade on a 1996

HMF

Reaction score
Here are some pictures from upgrading my alternator:
I got the CS-144 alternator off of an Express van with a 5.0 gas engine. The rear bracket fit perfect on the 6.5TD. I also got the connector for the regulator with the alternator so I could make a pigtail, see pictures below.

The original 100A CS-130D:
IMG_0126.jpgIMG_0127.jpg IMG_0129.jpg

Comparison of CS-130D and CS-144:
IMG_0132.jpg IMG_0134.jpg

CS-144 rear bracket on left, CS-130D rear bracket on right (I meant to have the CS-144 on the right but messed up the picture): I got the CS-144 rear bracket from the junkyard along with the alternator.
IMG_0120.jpg

CS-144 temporarily installed on engine mounting bracket:
IMG_0138.jpg IMG_0136.jpg

Note difference in connectors:
CS-130D connector:

IMG_0144.jpg IMG_0148.jpg

CS-144 connector:
IMG_0146.jpgIMG_0149.jpg

I made an adapter pigtail to go in place of the factory CS-130D adapter pigtail. The factory CS-130D pigtail is on the left, the one I made for the CS-144 is on the right. I got the plug for the alternator along with the alternator when I got it from the junkyard.
IMG_0139.jpg

The CS-144 installed on the engine. It fits like it was factory installed. That makes sense, since they were an option.
IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0152.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 31
Why the swap other than to replace a burned up unit with one from the recycled parts yard?
Any issues with alternator readings?

They are also a better quality alternator, they have better quality parts. It is also the alternator that the newer than our trucks came with. But like burningoil stated above they have a higher amperage output.

There is a website that sales the 144 that is a direct bolt on to our truck but I like the OP of this threads way and idea a lot better. Here is a link:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130d_cs144_trk_suv_upgrade.htm

They are also a better quality alternator, they have better quality parts. It is also the alternator that the newer than our trucks came with. But like burningoil stated above they have a higher amperage output.

There is a website that sales the 144 that is a direct bolt on to our truck but I like the OP of this threads way and idea a lot better. Here is a link:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130d_cs144_trk_suv_upgrade.htm

The CS-144 hasn't been used since 99. In 00 GM went to the new AD series alternators which are MUCH better than the previous ones. The CS-130D was replaced by the AD230. They look almost identical and use the same hook-up's, but are MUCH improved. The AD244 is the new style 130/145 amp unit and uses the same plugs and mounts as the CS-130D and AD230, but uses the larger rotor like the CS-144 does. It is a drop in replacement for the older CS-130D or the newer AD230 but with the higher output like that of the CS-144 and the high idle output.

Few alternator specs for those interested.
CS-130 idle output roughly 25-40 amps, and most GM units were 100 or 105 amps at 6K rotor RPM's.
CS-130D puts out roughly 50-65 at idle, and most were 100 or 105 amp at 6K rotor RPM's.
CS-144 puts out roughly 70-90 amps at idle, and most are rated at 140 RPM's at 4-5k rotor RPM's.
AD230 is the same specs as the CS-130D.
AD244 is roughly the same specs as the CS144, but is capable of MUCH higher outputs when cold(some have put out almost 250 amps for a few minutes when they are cold).
The AD230 and AD244 early 4 pin models use the same plug as the CS-130D, but later model AD230 and AD244's use a 2 pin hook-up which is just a differrent regulator(same internals). Also the CS-130 uses a smaller stud which is about 1/4" in diameter whereas the other models all use the larger roughly 5/16" stud(or it's 5/16" and 3/8" stud, not 100% certain right now).

Paveltolz: my CS130D died and I have had nothing but trouble buying alternators from places like Azone and Oreilly in the past, so I decided to try the CS144 since I knew they were supposed to be better quality and higher output and I found one cheap in the junkyard.

THEFERMANATOR: Thanks for the info! Any idea what applications to look for that would have an AD244 that would easily mount on a 1996?

The 130 amp alternator for an 2001 chevy 3500 with the DURAMAX is a drop in replacement for the CS-130D. As for crappy aftermarket alternators, all of the remans are made in mexico crap. i don't care if you buy a reman from autozone, oreilly's, advance, napa, carquest, or any of the other big chains, they are all rebuilt in mexico garbage. I buy the REMY brand from ADVANCE as they are the only 100% new units I have found on the aftermarket and is what is on my BURB now.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have a CS130 :mad2: Mine has the fan like explained above.

the CS-144 is an easy swap for the CS-130. Buy one for a 97 SUBURBAN in a 140 amp and it will be a CS-144 with the correct clocking and bolt pattern. You will have to either remove or modify your rear alternator mount and install a longer upper bolt as well as changing out the end on teh charge cable due to the larger post size.

the CS-144 is an easy swap for the CS-130. Buy one for a 97 SUBURBAN in a 140 amp and it will be a CS-144 with the correct clocking and bolt pattern. You will have to either remove or modify your rear alternator mount and install a longer upper bolt as well as changing out the end on teh charge cable due to the larger post size.

I can get a brand new CS144 from O-Reilly's for $149 with the lifetime warranty. I hope this fixes the problem I am having with my truck.

I can get a brand new CS144 from O-Reilly's for $149 with the lifetime warranty. I hope this fixes the problem I am having with my truck.

I'd appreciate seeing / hearing how it works out for you.

Do you need to change anything for the upper-front mounting bracket?

Thanks

I'd appreciate seeing / hearing how it works out for you.

Do you need to change anything for the upper-front mounting bracket?

Thanks

It will be about three to six months before I can do this. No Money! :mad2:

But, when I do I will post plenty of pictures and a how to! :thumbsup:

Converted my 94 to CS144 today. Im going post pictures in my Burban build thread later.

Back