• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crossover Pipe Size

Big T

Reaction score
Need some new crossover pipe gaskets (donuts). What size are they? Rockauto shows choices of 1-3/4" ID, or 2-3/32" ID??

The body shop, combo muffler and pipe shop over here, He got some kind of an electrical heat gun that wraps a wire around the bolt head, he pulls the trigger and in just a minute or so that bolt head is red hot, He claims to have not broke off one manifold bolt since acquiring that device. I know not the cost of one of them but, i`d bet that a person could rent it out to this community on at least a monthly basis, like Leroy does with his harmonic balancer removal/installer kit.

Those are inductive heat guns and the crappy ones start around $300, with moderate results.
Good ones start around $550 and get the majority of them free.

The coil on them wears out and the replacement part is usually $100, Around 25 hours per coil. When the gun goes on the fritz it’s usually buy a new one. Pro mechanics get about 4-5 years from a gun they use once a week.

The refillable cigar lighter style torches are a more preferred method unless you are working next to a fuel, or the difference of saving 2 minutes is worth the cost vs a $20 lighter. In shops that worry about “hot works” aka the use of an open flame is usually the places that buy them.

I've used my Harbor Freight refillable MicroTorch on many fasteners, including an driver's rear upper shock mount bolt that just wouldn't break loose on my daughter's old Dakota pickup, even with a 585 lb/ft 1/2" Impact driver on it. Busted the spot welds that held the nut to the bracket next to the frame rail and not enough clean flats and points because of the spot welds to get a bite with a combination wrench. Four minutes on rhe nut with the MicroTorch, grabbed the nut with a pair of 10" curved jaw ViceGrips, wedged the handle of the Grips up against the underside of the bed and let the bolt have it with the impact. Backed right out with no problem. Exhaust stud nuts, a seized lug nut, and a seriously tight nut on an 1¼" shank hitch ball, for instance.

Yeah, those Micro torches can do a lot more than anyone could imagine.
a seized component on the 87 GMC K1500 that I once had, it was on the front axle tube on the ball joint, IIRC, but, I can not quite remember just what it was that I was needing removed. I heated on that with the micro torch until the grease started smoking real good. man, was I surprized when that retainer came right loose. I never underestimated the power of the micro torch after that.
I did get about eight or ten years out of that torch and did a repair on it once, then a couple years later it failed again so it got trash canned. I should get another one as there are many applications where the oxy/acet. torch is just way too much for confined areas.

Those are inductive heat guns and the crappy ones start around $300, with moderate results.
Good ones start around $550 and get the majority of them free.

The coil on them wears out and the replacement part is usually $100, Around 25 hours per coil. When the gun goes on the fritz it’s usually buy a new one. Pro mechanics get about 4-5 years from a gun they use once a week.

The refillable cigar lighter style torches are a more preferred method unless you are working next to a fuel, or the difference of saving 2 minutes is worth the cost vs a $20 lighter. In shops that worry about “hot works” aka the use of an open flame is usually the places that buy them.
Jack dont cheap out when it comes to purchasing tools so i imagine He got the best that there is. He is a mighty fair man on his pricing too.
H esure knows how to have fun. When there is a group gathering, he is usually the one with the jokes and such. He has a sign in his shop, If You are in this shop and smoking, you better be on fire. LOLOLOL

Jack dont cheap out when it comes to purchasing tools so i imagine He got the best that there is. He is a mighty fair man on his pricing too.
H esure knows how to have fun. When there is a group gathering, he is usually the one with the jokes and such. He has a sign in his shop, If You are in this shop and smoking, you better be on fire. LOLOLOL
That's like the old joke,
"Do you smoke after sex?"
"I don't know, let me check."

Replaced the passenger side crossover pipe donut gasket. Next up is the water pump and timing chain. Lucky me.

Back