• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft Catastrophe

Veg_Out

Walking J Designs
Reaction score
Well guys, I type this with heavy heart. My Burb made it 243,000 miles and yesterday, 2 blocks from my home, that little ticking noise went from annoyance to motor grenading.

It's at a trustworthy shop right now getting diagnosed, they are 90% sure at this moment that the crankshaft snapped in half.

You can put the rig in park, and still roll it back and forth.

I've found a low mileage 6.2 locally, so I'll likely need some of your guidance as I pull the 6.5, remove the heads, IP and all other goodies to place them onto the 6.2.

Of course, I'm flat broke, starting a business all at the same time. Wish I'd kept that old Mercedes diesel. That thing wouldn't pull, but I'll bet the crankshaft is still solid.

Photos in the future.

Being able to roll in park is in the tranny. Did it spit parts out on the road? It's never a convienent time to have major breakdowns.

Makes me wonder if it's not the torque converter coming loose big time. No parts out on the road, but what a noise, holy mackerel.

He's thinking that the break is at the very back of the crankshaft.

so it quit running, right? can't imagine why a blown motor would affect the parking pawl. You maybe have had catastrophic engine failure that broke the crank, and grenaded the trans. that sucks man, sorry for you.

I broke a crank in a 350 Blazer once, it kept running on the front four cylinders because the timing chain was still turning everything. Didn't run for long, but it was really running.

Just thinking this thing over, I don't think he's nailed down the issue yet. Whatever happened, it's real awful sounding.

I agree with BK95TD and Bison. If you can put it in park and still move it that's a trans issue. I've worked on vehicles where the engine was not even in the vehicle at all(engine out for a refresh) and when it park the vehicle still would not move.

A trans can make a hell of a bang when it goes.

Rear differential, driveshaft, t-case, transmission up to and including the park pawl including the shift linkage are suspect.

You may have 2 or more separate issues.

I hope you are getting the used 6.2 under $1200. This is a cake walk swap. Worst part is setting the timing. I suggest getting new exhaust manifolds off ebay for $99 each as mine were warped beyond use and leaking bad. The RH would not even line up bolt holes.

Very true, I would be interested in what the internals look like. Timing gears can be changed, I would think he may part with it for cheaper. He posts an add everyday.

If you run a complete 6.2 long injector with all the 6.5 parts/peripherals, there will clearance problems on the turbo side manifold. I opted to do a 1/8" steel spacer and two gaskets there. Minor crossover tweaking is required.

Then there is the turbo oil. I used the OPS tap on the LR of the block with a 36" -6 braided teflon line.

Be careful of the water pump plate and the water pump itself, The v-belt 6.2 WP is the same rotation of the crank, the 6.5 serpentine is opposite.

Last edited:
The sound was like gravel and concrete with a few big rocks inside a cement truck, like you had a microphone right inside.

I heard the knock, and had been hearing in for a couple weeks. Figured it was time to test injectors, replace the crankshaft pulley etc. Was talking with Slim Shady on the tele and he suggested tightening the torque converter bolts. I agreed and headed home for the day. I wanted to hear if the knock went away at higher rpm, so while I was doing about 30, near my house, I slipped it into Neutral and revved, not very high, maybe 1800 rpm, and all of a sudden, the worst possible gravel in your motor/tranny noise you've ever heard.

I have located a 6.2. I have made a deal for it, I think. I have never pulled a motor before, and I'm a little nervous about it, but do have access to an "ok" shop.

Then today, I popped by the mechanics shop and he asked me, "has it always rolled while in park," right after he'd suggested that he was 90% sure the crankshaft had broken. I answered "no". He did start it and it died/he thinks it locked up. Ran and sounded like scary hell for 10 seconds, and now won't turn over.
If I need a tranny, I've found a couple of 6.5 trucks around Boise with blown motors, and I can buy the whole heap for less than a tranny.

Back