• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft Balancer KEY?

Bgbohunt

Reaction score
Does Anyone Know For Sure Whether The PinPilot Hole Is Drilled All The Way Through To The BAL Bolt Hole? And If So How Anyone Has Used Any Tricks For Pressing It, Or Should I Say The Unbroken Portion Through?

Pretty sure it does not go all the way through to the threads. Your going to have to try and center punch it, and just start out small and drill it out till you can get it out. Just be careful not to go to big and ruin the hole for the dowel.

Thanx For The Reply. I Looked In The Snout With One Of Those Harbor Frieght Cameras With The Scope It Takes Pictures But I Haven't Messed With It Long Enough To Figure Out How To Transfer The Pics , But I'd Like To Have. I Figure It Could Be Of Help To Some Of The Members In The Future Hopefully. The Threads Don't Start Until Further Back Than Where The Pin Pilot Is Drilled And It Wasn't Real Clear But You Could See A Faint Imprint Of A Circle . As Much As I'd Like To Try And Knock It Out There's No Room To Swing A Hammer. So I'm Thinking Of A Good Strong C Clamp With Fine Threads. There's Really Not A Lot Of Info About These Motors On The Web And Even Talked To 4 Shops Here In Town.2 Were Machine Shops. It Would Be A Lot Easier With The Radiator Out Of The Way I'm Just Unsure Of Messing With Unfamiliar Territory. Ac Condenser And All That.Also Thx To BT Farm I Think You Mentioned The Stud Welder Before Too And If It Wasn't Such A Confined Area I Would Try That. I Guess I Could Un Confine Just Looking For An Easier Way But May Have To Surrender.Lol. I Started Trying An Angle Drill Last Night And Got Frustrated Because It Wasn't Going As Well As I'd Liked.

Machining for a woodruff key is an extra setup and a bit more expensive. No doubt it was cost savings driving that change.

Gotta Love A Small Block chevy! Thx BT Farm. It's Been So Stinking Hot Here It's Just Messed With My Patience When I'd Get Started Working On It As Well As The Challenge Of Working In Such A Confined Space. I Gathered My Patience And Gave It My Best This Morning Soaking Wet In SweatAnd Only Broke One bit.I Was BUllheaded And Didn't Remove The Radiator I Have An Angle Drill That Made It Challenging But Possible .I Want To Say Thanx To Thefermenator Because Without The Encouragement I May Not Have Been As Confident.IMG_20150701_130906_186.jpgIMG_20150701_130906_186.jpg IMG_20150701_131657_885.jpg
Machining for a woodruff key is an extra setup and a bit more expensive. No doubt it was cost savings driving that change.

Last edited:
I Have Concerns About Other Keys But I'm Going To Reassemble And Keep My fingers Crossed.Are My Concerns Valid Or Is It Likely This Is The Only One Broken?

Got It And Looks And Sounds Like New. It's Kind Of Cool The Sound Of A New Serpentine Belt. The Turbo WhistlIng Did Me Some Good To. SUCCESS!

YEAH ! Smile And A Wave From This DURAMAX OWNER!My Wife And I Got Married About 2 Years Ago And I Bought Her 07 Toyota Avalon That Was Just About 60K Miles. It Was Really Well Kept And Three Months Ago The Ac Compressor Froze up,So I Unplugged The Clutch And Drove It While researching Parts FoR Manufacturer Warranty Parts And Purchased All The Same Parts Stealership Would've SolD Me But Wasn't Real Sure How I Would've Done The Repair With Her Being Out Of Her Car So I Talked To A Few Shops And Stopped At The Dealership. Dealership Said They Would Do The Swap For $500 Their Computers Were Down And They'd Do My Invoice When I Picked It Up. It Got Ugly When They Called Me Back 4 Hrs Later And Said "Oh By The Way We Made A Mistake" It's 1200. This Was With Me Purchasing Already The Compressor,Expansion Valve And Drier They Were Only Doing Labor. So Big Argument Happens And We Hang Up With Them Agreeing To Do It Now For 700$ Mind You The Freon Never Leaked In The Two Years We Drove It. We Pick It Up And Two Weeks Out I Notice The Compressor Cycling By Third Week I Take It Back And Go Straight To A Manager With My Woes Thinking Surely They'll Make It Right. Oh He Says"So Sorry For Your Inconvenience Let Me Put You In A Rental And We Will Make This Right And So Sorry For That Treatment. I Then Get Another Call From The Service Dept Telling Me That The Evaporator Inside The Dash Was Leaking And It Would Be Another 1200$ WOW! I Thought The Top Of My Head Was Going To Pop Off! We Went Round And Round And I Ended Up Paying$1000. THIS was To GROPPETTY TOTOTA Here In VISALIA caThis Made Me Realize How I Really Needed To Go BackTo Doing My Own Work Whenever Possible And Gave My A Good Laugh When I Saw One Of Our Members Or Another Of The GreaT Diesel Forums When They Called Them STEALERSHIPS! If You Made It This Far Thx! Reading My Rant.I Spent 500$ On The Parts The Whole Thing Said And Done Was A Couple Thousand.

Last edited:
Back