• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

crank

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I am looking at different cranks. I know scat will cost me 600-700 with shipping and is a good crank. Rockauto sells crankshaft supply with main and rod bearings included for about 400 shipped. Is this a good one? Also are there any others I should be looking at?

Tons of the cast ones break. Breaking the forged ones is what takes effort.

The 6.5 rotating assembly is way heavier than chevy gasser. Yet smaller and lighter than say a 5.9 cummins.
But the v8 design can handle being more out of balance than an inline engine, and GM knowing this took full advantage of it.
If you can afford a gep crank get one. Maybe a used one from boyce or the like?

Figure out everything you are going to do before spending penny one. Like rods being done, maybe arp rod bolts. Different pistons. Etc.
Then buy the parts including rings and bearings. Take it all down to the machine shop and have it all balanced.
Then you can hav le it chryo’d. After that is coated.

Yes chryo helps any of the crankshafts. Just a out every engine part infact. But the better the part is to start witb the better off you are.

Did anyone ever see pictures of the second p400 that broke the crank? The guy in Australia posted his pictures but his story was odd. The first p400 he had failed due to some loose bolts. I wonder if the Australian company he got it from is piecing together engines? The other guy never posted any pictures and im curious if it was truly a p400.

I made the investment into the forged crank. The scat crank is cast in China and machined in the states.

Last edited:
I have not seen pics, one of them it was stated the line bore was off... don't know if that was a guess or they took the time to have it measured.. also have heard of several broken rods as well...

I think a few have the idea the p400 is so strong it can take what ever is thrown at it, but very few people take into account it is still 20:1 compression, high boost, more fuel, no cac, etc creates a lot of cylinder pressure that kills..

I am not planning on doing anything extreme. I may do an ATT and tune but it may tow at the max 10k. I am going to have it balanced once I get everything I need. I have everything but the crank and all the bearings.

I am not planning on doing anything extreme. I may do an ATT and tune but it may tow at the max 10k. I am going to have it balanced once I get everything I need. I have everything but the crank and all the bearings.

I need heads as well.

So, to my way of thinking, those coated lower compression pistons and running close to stock boost would really increase the longevity of these engine without much power loss. Am I right in Mine thinking ?

Exactly my plan. Want to run a tad more turbo work and easier on everything else.
Then if I find the desire later to push a bunch of fuel and crank the turbo up- it will handle all that too.

There are some things that are good for either more power or longer life. But most things (not the extra fueling) in a build really do both.

Back